Thursday, June 14, 2007

What Would Jesus Have Done?

I got a call at around 7:45pm to inform me about the interview that I am to attend today has been postponed to next Tuesday. An email was also sent to me about the postponement. The time stated was 12:30pm. Apparently one of the staff has been trying to reach me but to no avail. Initially I was quite disappointed that it has been pushed to next week because I had wanted to get it over and done with. Seriously. I am actually quite stressed out by this as I am the sort of person who dreads official meetings like this.

Anyway, looking back now I think it is a blessing in disguise. As I have been quite tired from my busyness with mum's health issue and preparing for the Youth Ministry Spiritual Retreat, taking this one pressurising appointment off my schedule does give me some space to breathe.

Well, for those who have been praying for me in the above-mentioned, I may have to trouble you to extend your prayer support for another 6 more days.

I came back not too long ago from supper with 16 of my siblings-in-Christ. We ended at around 11:45pm. I was afraid I might missed my last bus home. I was on the verge of flagging a cab but there was this voice in me that kept nudging me to wait for the bus. Soon, service 136 came and I took it to Yio Chu Kang Road. I had to alight along this road to take another bus.

When I checked the bus guide, the last bus for service 147 was 11:46pm and my watch read 11:51pm. I told myself this time round I really needed to take a taxi home. Again I hesitated and told the Lord if after two green lights the bus did not arrive, I would have to take the taxi. Guess what? Just before the traffic lights turned red for the third time, the bus appeared. I praised the Lord and happily boarded the bus.

Well, this is not the end of the story. At the next stop, a man came on board and sat next to me. He was very dirty and smelly. He is mentally unsound. He is mute. I do not know whether any one who has been in Serangoon Garden for a long time ever remembered this man who sold Chinese newspapers around Chomps Chomps Hawker Centre many years ago. Because he was mute, he could only make some noises to inform people around he was selling papers.

Anyway, it was this same man I met in the bus and his condition has deteriorated. He tried talking to me and each time he opened his mouth, he would drool. I was struggling whether to change seats but I just could not move as I did not want the man to know I was trying to avoid him. His body odour was quite unbearable actually.

I prayed for the Lord to heal him. I also asked God to help me bear with this man. I know deep down he needed someone to talk to and since he sat next to me, I would just remain where I was and listened to him. Of course I could not understand him but I just listened on.

Well, before I alighted, I waved and bade him farewell. He looked into my direction and returned the wave.

Throughout my struggle to change seats and avoid the man, I recalled many months back a thought that a brother-in-Christ shared in my accountability group. He challenged us when faced with a situation to ask what would Jesus have done if He was in our shoes. That question came to mind and I guess Jesus would have continued sitting with the man.

I really hope the Lord will be close to that man and continue to provide for his needs.

Okay, I want to sleep now. Thanks be to God for yesterday and today!

"A man with leprosy came to him and begged him on his knees, "If you are willing, you can make me clean." Filled with compassion, Jesus reached out his hand and touched the man. "I am willing," he said. "Be clean!" Immediately the leprosy left him and he was cured." Mark 1:40-42

No comments: