Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Sabbath-Rest

My family and I just finished dinner. Since mum likes chicken rice, I decided to cook it for her and all. I am glad we finished everything. I also stir-fried bean sprouts with salted fish as a side-dish.

I know grandma, dad and bro are concerned about the radiotherapy treatment that mum has to undergo tomorrow but I guess we decided to put all those aside and just enjoy each other's company.

Grandma is not doing too well today because she has gum infection. It is apparently quite bad - at times we could hear her groaning in her room. Bro accompanied her to see the doctor. She was given painkillers for the infection and also for the nerve. I pray the Lord will heal her soon.

Anyway, a couple of days ago I promised to write some thoughts about my turning 35 this year. As I am on my sabbatical from work for one year, it has been a period of slowing down; of breaking the routine and doing something different; of reflection; of catching up with family and friends; of reflection on my walk with the Lord; of doing more in ministry; of cleaning up my acts as an individual and working on my character-building; of letting God speak through His Word and my siblings-in-Christ. All these have been refreshing and I praise the Lord for the experiences!

There have been some setbacks as well - one was my stomach ulcer which I had to undergo a minor surgery to eradicate the problem; two was a relationship rift with a very dear sister (which I still have no idea what went wrong and frankly I am willing to learn from my mistake if I had erred in any way. Till now I am still hoping for a reconciliation); three was the discouragement I am facing in the area of my service in the missions ministry.

I do not know what exactly is in store for me in the next one year. At the moment my thoughts are on mum whom I pray will recover fully after her treatments; I am going to continue working on overcoming some areas of my shortcomings and weaknesses - all these while I have been rebuked by a few close friends who cared enough to correct me but I just did not take the effort to work on them. Now I feel it is time to wake up and change - basically to put away my childish ways. I hope to attract than repel people in the way I live my life; I also do not know whether I will be offered the scholarship. If I do, I will probably be going overseas to pursue my education but I would prefer to do so the following year (because of mum). The problem is I do not know whether am I allowed to do so. I guess this Thursday I will know when I go for my final interview; it is also my desire to put more effort and thought in my area of service as the missions ministry chairperson - there are a lot of good things happening. I hope the Lord will lead and guide my committee and I.

Well, a summary of the past one year. I decided not to write in details as it would take several paragraphs to do so.

I shall end here and spend some time in prayer with mum and dad.

"There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; for anyone who enters God's rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from his." Hebrews 4:9-10

"To man belong the plans of the heart, but from the LORD comes the reply of the tongue. Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed. In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps." Proverbs 16:1, 3 & 9

No comments: