Friday, June 29, 2007

Count Your Blessings

How many of us complain that life is unfair often enough that it makes us feel miserable most of the time? It even reaches to a stage where we just find no more meaning in all we do. Life becomes mundane and monotonous basically.

Well, lately I was just thinking - must life really come to this point or is it just us, humans, who make it that way because of our perception and reaction to the many situations we experience in life?

Lately I have learnt to count my blessings. In doing so, it allows me to see for myself that life is afterall not bad because of the many things God has given me which I tend to take for granted. When we sometimes dwell on the negative aspects of our pilgrim's journey, they tend to cloud the many good things which we are actually blest with. It is important to start switching our focus from the unpleasant to the pleasant; from the bad to the good; from the sadness to the happy; from the pessimism to the optimism.

It is amazing how many blessings God has bestowed upon me all these while:-

1) The eternal life I have now since the day I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Saviour;

2) The freedom to worship God in this country I was born in;

3) The family I have though tumultuous when I was younger but relationships amongst us are now improving and growing closer;

4) The grace of God upon my parents and grandma who are now Christians themselves and growing in the Lord daily;

5) The many siblings-in-Christ God has given me since the day I attended church when I was in Primary Six;

6) The many who stood by me when I was struggling in my growing up years as a student and also when I was sick due to my kidney ailment;

7) The complete recovery from my kidney injury;

8) The chance to go to university and complete my studies though I never dreamt of doing that when I was struggling in my primary and secondary education;

9) The chance to be able to play a part in other people's lives now that I am an educator;

10) The ability to serve in the church and use the gifts God has given me to bless the lives of others;

11) The ability to work and earn my own living and also to support my loved ones;

12) The flat I am given which I can call home and find shelter in;

13) The plentiful of food all around me which I can so luxuriously choose from for each meal I consume;

14) The many shopping centres I can go to to buy the things I require;

15) The ability to wake up each morning and experience the rising of the sun and smelling the morning dew and also the chirping of the birds;

16) The ability to pull through each day, come back home, have a good meal, a good bath, experience the sunset and then the comfort of the bed to allow me to have a good rest and be ready again for a brand new day;

I can go on and on and on and the list will not end. So is life good? Yes. Of course! What is important is for me to sit down and count my blessings. When I can see the goodness of God in my life through these deliberate breaks I take, then the struggles I go through now will not be that bad afterall because I know the God who has blessed me so richly will also be faithful to pull me through the mountains and valleys of my life.

Everything God created is good. It is us who sometimes makes it look bad.

Thanks be to God for everything!

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. "Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" Matthew 7:7-11

No comments: