Friday, June 08, 2007

Prayer Can Do What The Hands Can't

Two nights ago after I came home from the leaders' prayer meeting, I spent some time with mum after cooking her a bowl of "mee suah" (Chinese vermicelli). She was a little hungry then.

As we were talking, she said she does not know how dad would react should one day she leaves this world earlier than him. She also mentioned that should she go, she would do so with peace in her heart as my brother and I have now our stable jobs. She remarked she would love to see one of us marry before anything happens to her. I jokingly told her I am definitely not the one as I do not have someone who is willing to share my life with whereas my brother has. I told mum I will hint to him.

Anyway, I decided to give her my listening ear though it would have been easy for me to interrupt her sharing by saying things like, "Mum, can you please don't think like this?" or "It won't happen."

After she stopped, I basically told her we will never know exactly when we would all die but what matters is how we make full use of the present to cherish the relationships we have.

I also told her she has given her best to be as good a mother to my brother and I. I thanked her for all that she has done. You know? I would never have said this when I was younger because there were times when I hated mum so much that I would wish her dead. Yup, that was how deep my hatred was. Thanks be to God that I have forgiven her because after all she was trying her best to bring us up though her methods were not always effective.

When she was done with her supper, we spent some time in prayer. I am so happy she has memorised my favourite Bible passage of Philippians 4:6-7. :)

So much for that. I came back not too long ago from supper with my younger siblings-in-Christ. Before that we met up to plan for the Youth Ministry Spiritual Retreat workshops.

I have a testimony to share regarding the preparations. The whole of yesterday I wanted to do some lesson-planning - after sending the mission team off, I wanted to do so at MacDonalds but the encounter with the Caucasian visitor sort of took that mood away from me.

Then I headed for Ngee Ann City Coffee Bean. I went online and searched the websites for ideas. After spending some 4 hours or so, I still did not have a clue what my team should do. I decided to head for church.

As I entered the church, the retreat theme verse (Psalm 46:10) came to mind. I basically left my things in the church office and headed for the Fire Escape Stairways. It was there I poured out my anxieties and fears to the Lord. I basically confessed that I was trying to do things with my own strength and that I was at my wit's end!

Well, not that anything spectacular happened immediately but I had a sense of peace in my heart after that. I spent some time with a Lay Ministry Staff whom I sought counsel with regarding this burden. It was here that ideas started pouring in. I was so overwhelmed that I had no choice but to quickly type the thoughts down onto my laptop.

It was amazing to experience how the well in me was empty not too long ago was then suddenly filled with so many ideas. The best thing was they all flowed smoothly from one point to the other! Surely this was the work of God!

I shared the above-mentioned excitedly with the team. We discussed and fine-tuned some parts. At the end of it all, the preparations are now almost done. Wow! Praise and glory be to God!

I can heave a sigh of relief now. :)

"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."
Psalm 46:10

No comments: