Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Punctuality Speaks A Lot About Us

I went for my final interview this afternoon. Again it was a battle of whether I should get into the good books of the interviewers by sucking up to them or giving them my frankest opinions regardless of whether my views are pleasing to their ears or not. Anyway, I chose the latter.

There were many random questions asked. I tried to answer them as best as I could. Anyway, thanks be to God that the interviews have finally come to pass and I shall lay them to rest. It was a good experience for me.

I came home not too long ago from a birthday celebration for a sister-in-Christ. It was not planned that I joined in this get-together. As earlier I was with the birthday girl and another sister-in-Christ to check out some cameras, they invited me to join them for the meal. I agreed and enjoyed the fellowship.

On my way home I was just thinking about one of the topics in the conversation over dinner - it was about "Punctuality." Since I am on this, I thought I write some of my views on it.

I think it is very important for all to be punctual and these are some of my thoughts:-

1) It shows how much we value and cherish the relationship with the other party we are meeting. Even if we do not value that friendship, it does not mean we can be late for that appointment.

2) It speaks a lot about our character. Being punctual is a discipline and a responsibility.

3) Punctuality does not take into consideration whether the other party we are meeting is habitually late thus giving us the excuse that we can be late too. This does not help in the situation at all as it basically encourages all to be late. We should try to help the other party to be on time by first being punctual ourselves.

4) It is important for us to forecast our schedules for the day and evaluate whether we will be late for an appointment. If we think we are, we should call in advance the other party we are meeting and change the time of meet. This allows him or her not to waste time waiting but to use it to do other things.

5) We should show our displeasure occasionally to the other party if he or she is habitually late - not to put the person down but to allow him or her to learn to spare a thought for others. Many times we try to be diplomatic and accommodating but in doing so we are not helping the other party at all.

Well, these are just some of my views. I understand that sometimes being late is out of our control like suddenly our bosses call for a last-minute meeting; there is a jam; the train or bus broke down; suddenly we have a stomachache; etc. All these unforseen circumstances do happen but not to the point of them being too frequent.

Do spare a thought for others the next time we make an appointment with someone. If we do not start training ourselves at some point, we will never be able to practise punctuality at all in our lives.

It has been a traumatising first half of the day but God was gracious enough to give me a time of relaxation and fun with my siblings-in-Christ shopping and fellowshipping in the second half.

Thanks be to God for everything.

"He who heeds discipline shows the way to life, but whoever ignores correction leads others astray." Proverbs 10:17

"No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees." Hebrews 12:11-12

No comments: