Monday, June 18, 2007

Are We Really Friends?

I am in between appointments now - left campus after a meeting and at 7:45pm I am meeting a dear friend for dinner. Since it was no point for me to go home, I am now in Centrepoint Coffee Bean, writing this blog and later surfing the net for some information.

Just this morning while I was travelling to campus, I was pondering on this word called "Friendship." This word came to mind because during the Youth Ministry (YM) Retreat, the speaker touched on this and yesterday when I was conducting the YM teaching session, there was also a part on this topic.

So what does it really mean to be a friend to another? I cannot speak for others what their views are but I can speak about mine.

I have always felt that being a friend to another is always about building. This is of course an ideal but it is not impossible to practise. As far as I can I will try my best to be there for my friends even though sometimes I feel inadequate in meeting some of their needs. I want them to know that I am always trying to be a better friend to them though I have to admit I have my shortcomings which sometimes hampers the growth of our friendship. It is sad but that is the reality of things. That is why lately I am asking the Lord to help me overcome my weaknesses so that I do not let them affect my relationship with others.

What bothers me, and I am guilty of this sometimes, is how friends easily put one another down with their words and actions when they know it is wrong to do so. This happens even amongst close friends and I have experienced this in my own company of closer friends. I have hurt and I have been hurt as well.

It takes so long a time to build a friendship but all it takes is one insensitive statement or action to destroy that bond almost instantaneously. Is it worth it at all? Why hurt our friends with our words and actions when we ourselves do not wish to be hurt by others?

Friends are gifts from God - cherish every single one of them. I have lost a few over the years and I guess I have been a bad steward in these that God has given me. I hope I will not commit the same mistake all over again.

Well, these were the thoughts I had. I still have a lot to learn with regard to this area of my life. May the Lord continue to teach and guide me.

I shall end here for now.

"My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 13Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:12-13

No comments: