Thursday, June 21, 2007

Lending A Hand

I thought I do some blogging while thinking about my approach for this Sunday's Youth Ministry (YM) lesson that I am teaching. The topic is about giving. I pray the Lord will grant me insights and that I will be able to get a clearer picture along the way.

Two interesting incidents happened since midnight. At around 1:15 this morning, I was doing some work on my computer when suddenly I heard a couple of loud popping noises where the pedestrian bridge is. I looked out of the window and saw four teenagers (3 guys and 1 girl) breaking fluorescent light tubes onto the ground. Pieces of glass were strew all over. Around that area is the frequented route taken by young parents walking their kids in the morning and evening.

Concerned that these broken pieces may injure the passers-by, I wanted to go down and tell the youths to stop their nonsensical and inconsiderate acts. Knowing that I would be outnumbered, I decided to call the police for assistance. While waiting for their arrival, I was trailing the youths. They were kicking down dustbins as they walked. Finally they sat down on the stone-chairs at the void-deck of my block. That was when I waited at a distance for the police to arrive.

A short while later, a patrol car arrived. I identified myself to the two officers and together we approached the foursome. One fled in a bicycle but the other three were apprehended. We had them seated down. It was here that I recognised one of the youths. I knew him since he was a kid, living in the same block. He was a nice and courteous boy. His father passed away suddenly about 4 years ago. When he saw me, he drooped his head. He now has tattoos all over his hands and neck. I spoke to him while the police were interrogating the rest. He told me they were bored. When I asked him where they got the fluorescent tubes from, he told me they just detached them from the light panels of the pedestrian bridge.

After taking down their statements, the officers decided to let them off with a warning. I was glad they did that. I guess these youths did not think of the consequences of their actions but now I am sure they do before they commit any more silly acts. Before they could leave, they were instructed to sweep away the broken glasses and to place the dustbins in their original positions.

I walked the youth I know to his flat and told him to behave himself lest he gets into deeper trouble. He nodded his head before entering his home. While I was walking away, I heard the rattling sound from the chain of a bicycle. I turned back and saw the brother of the teenager. I figured he was the one who ran away when the police made their approaches. I left it as it was and headed home.

I prayed for all four of the youths as I walked back to my flat that the Lord will minister to them - I do not know how He would do that but I felt the burden to pray for them. I may follow up with the youth living just one level below mine. I do not know how yet but shall let God prompt me accordingly.

The other incident occured when I was waiting for the train. I was heading for town then, which I am now at in Ngee Ann City Coffee Bean. I saw a lady wearing a black outfit suddenly falling to the ground from the reflection of the glass doors. I turned around and realised she had fainted. I asked a student to notify the station officers while another man and I attended to the lady. She was semi-conscious. A staff came and we basically kept talking to the lady to ensure that she did not pass out completely. I think she is pregnant as her tummy is bigger than usual.

Anyway, 10 minutes later, the ambulance arrived. We let the medical officers take over. After ensuring that she did not hurt herself seriously, they put her on the stretcher and carried her to the ambulance.

I think the lady will be fine. My only concern is whether the baby is okay - that is if she is really pregnant. I whispered a word of prayer for her as I took the escalator down and waited for the next train to arrive.

I never expected this new day to be so eventful. I thank God though that I was able to assist as much as I could. I hope He can use me more to minister to that particular youth I know.

I decided to go out to catch a breather. Mum is beginning to have a bit of rashes on parts of her body - just a little itchy she said. I am glad the doctor prescibed some cream for her. Dad applied it on her and it helped soothe the discomfort. I cooked lunch for every one before I went out.

I did not sleep well the whole night - slept at around three and was awoken by dad around 7am. I could not sleep after that.

Well, I shall stop here for now. I have some more thoughts to write but shall leave that to tonight.

"Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity." Colossians 4:5

"Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it." Hebrews 13:2

No comments: