Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Community Living Is Good! Try It!

Yesterday I had dinner with four siblings-in-Christ. Initially I thought it was just a time of gathering for us to fellowship with one another. In the end, it turned out to be a birthday celebration for me. It was a surprise and I am touched by their acts of kindness and love. Praise the Lord for them!

This whole month of June has reminded me of the power of community living. Prior, during and after my birthday, I have received so many greetings, wishes, birthday treats and presents that I am overwhelmed by these blessings showered upon me by my siblings-in-Christ and friends. Again, I thank the Lord for them all!

Before I became a Christian, I was, to a certain extent, a loner. Though I joined a gang to give myself an identity and status, it felt different from what I have been experiencing since I became a Christian.

When I was with the gang I gave a lot to be accepted and recognised by all. When I was of no use, none of my gang members even cared to talk to me. But when help was needed, suddenly they became good to me again and after that they would ask me to help them in all sorts of things.

As for my siblings-in-Christ whom I have come to know, many of them stuck with me through thick and thin. None of them made use of me - sometimes they gave me more than I gave to them.

What touched me lots was their willingness to give - be it their love, care, concerns and also their material possessions which they freely gave just so that they could help me in my time of need. This was when I was going through the failure of my right kidney.

What I am now and the process of my character-moulding (till I die) are all very much influenced by my spiritual grandparents, parents and siblings who take the effort to counsel me through affirmation, encouragement, rebuke and correction.

I will never settle for less by trying to find another kind of community since I have already experienced such power in this community of believers which God, in His grace, has placed me in.

Well, I want to share this because I desire for all my siblings-in-Christ and friends to be blest since I myself have been blest so richly by the above community. In order for this community to work powerfully though, everyone must be willing to give and take - that is when we will begin to see God moving. When every one sits still and not do anything, then we will never be able to let God use us as instruments of peace and love to others.

This year's birthday has been one of my most joyous and blessed birthdays I have experienced. Thanks be to God and my friends for the blessings!

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers." Galatians 6:9-10

No comments: