Thursday, June 07, 2007

Stop It!

I had an unpleasant encounter with a group of Caucasian tourists (8 of them in all - 6 guys; two ladies) when I went to the MacDonalds restaurant in the airport. I have never seen such inconsiderate and insensitive bunch of people in my life.

After I ordered my food, I was looking for a table and found one. I had to pass through the tables occupied by these visitors. I politely asked one of them to make some space for me to cross over. He basically pushed his chair just an inch and expected me to do so.

Well, since he refused to budge any further, I had no choice but to squeeze myself through that small gap. When I did that, my butt kind of brushed his head. That guy got so angry and made this comment, "Hey, you fat blob! Watch where you are going!"

I was offended by what he said and asked him to repeat those words again. Audaciously, he did.

I looked at him in scrutiny. I do not know what got into me but I basically made this remark in retaliation, "Mister, for a Caucasian like you, you are sure kind of short. Next time if you want to criticise others, perhaps you might want to look at yourself in the mirror. I can accept myself as a fat blob, can you accept yourself as a shortie especially when all your friends here are much taller than you? Please behave yourself when you are in a host country."

He did not say anything else and I went on to eat my breakfast. Like I said, I do not know what got into me to make those statements. I am basically sick and tired of individuals always commenting on other people's flaws or weaknesses when they themselves are no different from others. If anyone wants to make comments or criticise others, do so only if you are perfect. If you are not, just shut up and accept one another as who they are, be it whether they are your friends or just strangers.

Enough is enough. If that group had beaten me up, I still do not regret what I said. I know I should not have made those remarks about that man because in doing so I am criticising him but that was the last straw. I simply needed to put the message across proper.

I have had many people commented on my weight before. Then I just left them as they were but if this goes on and on, then I had to put my foot down. If one is doing it jokingly, I am fine with that but if it is done to put me down, then I will have to do something about it.

Come on, let us stop being superficial! When I say this, I am also reminding myself because there were occasions when I was not careful, I did fall into this trap. May the Lord deal with me doubly hard should I not practise what I preach.

Let us build each other up rather than put one another down! Let us affirm rather than criticise. Let us be sensitive to the feelings of others. If you can be hurt by some things, others would too. This world would be a better place to live in when small efforts are taken by all to do the above-mentioned.

Well, when I cooled down, I prayed and sought the Lord's forgiveness for what I did against that stranger. I hope I will not do it again. In fact I hope there will not be another similar incident. Just this year I had three already. Sigh.

Anyway, I was at the airport to send the mission team off. Praise the Lord everything eventually went well. Initially there were some problems regarding the total weight of the baggages but it was resolved when we spoke to the staff involved.

I am now in Ngee Ann City Coffee Bean preparing for the Youth Ministry Spiritual Retreat workshops. I am still clueless as to what we should do. I pray the Lord will prompt the other team members and I as to what He wants us to do. May He lead and guide me in the next few hours.

I shall stop here for now. I am actually quite sleepy but I should be okay after a while.

"You, then, why do you judge your brother? Or why do you look down on your brother? For we will all stand before God's judgment seat." Romans 14:10

No comments: