Wednesday, June 06, 2007

The Paths Of Life

I went to Hindhede Quarry leading up to Bukit Timah Hill this morning. I needed to recce the route to the quarry so that this Saturday I will know exactly where to go when I bring the retreat leaders up. I got lost along the way but thank God He was able to prompt me accordingly and in the end, all went well. The weather threatened to rain but it did not. Praise God!

When I was up at the quarry, I just took the time to be quiet before the Lord and reflected on the path I took and the mistakes I made. There are a couple of lessons I learnt which can be paralleled to my life:-

1) This is the first time I was going up the hill on my own. When I was at the starting point, I basically asked the Lord to be my guide and give me the discernment to know where to go. I knew I could not do this with my own strength and understanding. I guess it is the same for my life where I have to always depend on God to show me the way so that I will not get lost. At the end of it all, God has to be my GUIDE in all I do.

2) I got lost a couple of times when I was trekking and became a little anxious. When that happened, I learnt I needed to stay calm and reflect on what I did which led me to where I was. When that was settled, all I needed to do was to back-track to the point where I got lost and start again. My life's journey is like that too - along the way I would get lost, even now I am still lost with regards to some areas. When that happens, it is important for me to stop and reflect, seek the Lord and then move on again or back-track a little and restart. There need to have pit-stops along the way.

3) From the start to the end of the recce, I also encountered many potholds, muddy pools and even fallen branches which made the trekking a little harder. I had to make decisions whether to go round these obstacles or over them and at one point, to find another alternative route but hoping to link up to a point somewhere beyond that obstacle. Well, life is like that too. Many times I would face such barriers but at the end of it all, with the Lord's promptings, I would just have to overcome them and move on. Sometimes it would take a longer time because I have to find another avenue but eventually it would still lead to the same destination.

4) There were many pleasant encounters too - I met some trekkers and bikers who smiled and greeted me when we crossed paths; I saw some really beautiful birds; there were some monkeys perched on the branches grooming each other; I saw a durian tree where there were many of the thorny fruits hanging all over. I looked around and saw a few which had fallen. I took one, opened it and managed to find good seeds in there. I ate some and they were delicious; I also saw a snake when I was down at one of the little valleys; etc. It is the same for my life where along the way there were many wonderful encounters with people, animals, etc. I always give thanks to God for them and it is always these things that take my attention away from the struggles I faced and make me smile.

I also spent some time at the quarry praying about the frustrations and disappointments I felt last night about my life, people, situations, God. I felt better but there are a lot of seeking that I still need to do from here on.

I guess that is all for the adventure I had this morning. I met a doctor-friend briefly to update him about mum and also collected from him some health supplements for a dear friend. I pray they have been helpful for her body.

I am now in church. I came here after the recce. My left knee is a little painful but it should go away soon.

"The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you." Psalm 9:9-10

No comments: