Monday, June 25, 2007

Seeking God's Will

Last night I was online corresponding with a sister-in-Christ - in one of our topics of discussion she asked me what do I usually think about, how do I go about finding for answers and how to resolve these issues internally.

I shared with her the main issues - basically my future as in whether I will ever be given the chance and honour to marry the lady I love; about where God wants me to serve Him, be it in my current job as an educator or as a full-time church worker; about the ministries I am serving in; about my family; about the burdens I have for my siblings-in-Christ and friends.

As I have shared with the youths during the spiritual retreat last week, I usually allow God to speak to me in three ways: His Word; people; and the Holy Spirit.

His Word - this is definitely one of the clearest way I hear God speaks because the Bible is God's spoken words in writing. So whenever I become anxious when I am thinking about some of the above issues or troubled over them, His Word will assure me in certain ways and also sometimes tells me what I need to do and how to do it. It also serves as a rebuke sometimes especially when my approaches towards these issues are wrong or not pleasing in His sight or not according to His will.

People - I believe God has given the fellowship of believers for a reason. He can use people who knows me and are closer to me to tell me certain things that I may fail to see when I am dealing with the issues of my life. Some may come as an affirmation; some as a rebuke and a form of correction; and some as an encouragement to run alongside me and advising me as and when needed through prayers.

Holy Spirit - I do not know how to explain this as clearly as I can because no one can see the Holy Spirit. To me, it is possible to feel it. Whenever I am dealing with issues and the directions or attitudes or motives are wrong, there is simply no peace in my heart. When I sense that, I know something may be wrong and that I need to reflect on these approaches and seek the Lord to re-route me to the correct path. And when I obey His guidance and leading (which sometimes I do not because of my human pride or understanding or stupidity), the sense of peace will come and that is when I will act upon it.

What I have shared above may sound as if it is so easy to practice. In reality it is not because there is always the battle between God's will and our own will. It is also a struggle because this world simply cries out to our attention in many ways - our work, studies, family, trials, etc.

I have learnt and I pray I will continue to practise this - it is important to always set aside time of solitude away from the busy and noisy environment to find God and seek His counsel. It is hard especially when we are always so caught up with the hustle and bustle of life but it is possible and it is vital for all human beings, if I may generally put it. God does speak to us all the time but sometimes the noise of this world is louder to the point where we just could not hear Him clearly but when we are in silence, His voice is ever so clear and peaceful.

This sister whom I was talking to on MSN asked me about the issue on love. I shared with her I have been hard-pressed from all sides regarding this aspect (because I am not getting any younger) - from my family, relatives, closer friends, and even members of the church and parents of my friends whom I planned their wedding for. Sometimes it gets so overwhelming that I thought I might as well give in, find someone, get married and be done with it. Thanks be to God that He has taught me self-control. :)

The two persons I am always so grateful to for always comforting me not to be discouraged or disheartened are my God-parents. :)

The love God instituted for a man and woman to be together is not based on pressure but on mutual understanding. I have already concluded especially on this main issue of my life that if I am not able to find a lady whom I can truly love, then I will not marry. Sounds extreme but it is a fundamental step I need to take.

After pondering on these issues of my life and letting God speak based on the three ways I mentioned, I will find resolve simply in acting upon them without any fears or worries because I know God has gone ahead of me to prepare the way. But I will still pray continually so that I know what else to do along the way.

I shall end here for now. Just finished ironing a huge pile of clothes. Legs numbed already, super-sweaty and hand sore.

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." 2 Timothy 3:16-17

"Folly delights a man who lacks judgment, but a man of understanding keeps a straight course. Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed. A man finds joy in giving an apt reply — and how good is a timely word! Proverbs 15:21-23

"Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace; the sinful mind is hostile to God. It does not submit to God's law, nor can it do so. Those controlled by the sinful nature cannot please God. You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ. But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness. And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you." Romans 8:5-11

"In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will. And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:26-28

No comments: