Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Choices! Choices! Choices!

I came back not too long ago from a movie and dinner outing with some friends. All 6 of us went to watch Spiderman 3 at Prince 1 Theatre and then to Gluttons' Bay for our meal.

I got to know one new friend today - she is a roller-blading buddy of my dear friend. I enjoyed the time of fellowship with every one. As the rest did not know one another that well, my dear friend and I tried to make every one comfortable by initiating conversation and all. I asked the Lord to help me and I am thankful He guided me along the way.

Before I went for the movie, I was with a group of students and ex-students from the university playing rugby. Since all of them had finished their exams, they called me last night to join them for a friendly match against another group of ruggers. I went along as it has been a while since I met most of them. I did not play much - first of all, I am not supposed to play contact sports anymore due to an injury to my kidney in 1998. Secondly, I did not want to aggravate my weak left knee. I enjoyed the short time on the field though - really reminisce those times when I used to play regularly. I also had a great time catching up with every one.

Well, some of them are still not sure what they would like to do with their lives and careers. In the course of our conversations, I tried to advise accordingly.

Some are considering relationships but are not confident. Though I am no expert in this, I tried as best as I could to listen to their fears and gave them some points to ponder upon:-

1) One should not enter into a relationship just because they are pressured to do so from peers or parents or relatives;

2) One should go easy - develop the friendship first before entering into a serious relationship;

3) To those who are Christians, I encouraged them to pray about the individuals whom they are interested in. I also told them to consider the God-fearing aspect of the persons.

4) I advised them to go on group dates first (like today's rugby get-together) should they be nervous or unsure.

Well, like I said, I am not a guru in this since I myself have not been successful in winning the heart of the lady I love. Just as much as I gave advice, I also am still learning.

I am actually quite tired but I am going to stay up to watch the Liverpool-Chelsea Champions League Semi-Final Second Leg match at 2am later. Though Liverpool was beaten 0-1 in the First Leg, I hope they will bounce back later and win the match to go into the Final.

Anyway, before I end, I want to share a thought that I gathered while watching the Spiderman movie. Towards the last part of the show, one of the characters mentioned that the choices made by an individual will make him to be what he is.

To a very much extent, I agree with that but I would like to add on (in my opinion as a Christian) another point - the choices must also be guided by God since He knows what is best for us.

The problem is that most of the time, we refuse to listen to Him and in the process wrong choices are made. When that happens, the consequences are for us to bear but it is never the end of the road. We can always invite God back to our decision-making and He will gladly help us from where we left off.

I guess that is all I have to say.

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6

No comments: