Monday, May 14, 2007

One Seat Taken Tonight

After cooking fish porridge for mum who is still unwell and preparing mee goreng (Indian fried noodles) for grandma and dad, I decided to go out for a while to catch a breather. I headed for Borders Bookstore at Wheelock Place to browse through some Photography magazines. After that I walked along the whole stretch of Orchard Road to look at people and also to speak with the Lord.

It was a refreshing time and I needed that. While I was walking past Ngee Ann City, I saw an old man sitting alone on one of the stone-benches. I sat next to him and had a chat with the uncle.

His name is Mr. Chang. He has not worked for 10 years already. Once in a while he goes to Orchard Road alone. I asked him why he likes coming to the town area and he told me he reminisces the time he had with his late wife while they were working in the old Ngee Ann Building back in the 80s. She died of cancer 15 years ago. She was then only 45 years old. Mr. Chang is now 68.

They were both active members of the Ngee Ann Kongsi, a foundation that is actively involved in educational, cultural and welfare activities in Singapore. They both used to have lunch together and he was telling me that they enjoyed shopping in the old C.K. Tang Building. I could see a mix of happiness and sadness when he related their love stories.

Though I am not married but I guess I could understand the feelings in his heart as I listened to him. It is always difficult to lose a loved one especially when the love is so deep. Uncle Chang also showed me a photo of his wife.

I had to end the chat with Mr. Chang abruptly as I got an overseas call from my God-Ma. I shook his hands and thanked him for the conversation we had. I gave him my mobile number so that he can call me should he want someone to talk to. He smiled.

I walked on as I spoke to Ma. She called to update me on some information I requested for. She also wanted to catch up with me further since yesterday was a little too rush when I called to send her my Mother's Day greetings. She was busy serving in church then. Well, I had a fruitful conversation with her. Thanks be to God for that.

Anyway, I am glad I went out for a while. I prayed for Mr. Chang after talking to Ma and before I reached Dhoby Ghaut MRT Station. I thank God for letting the empty seat in my life be taken by Uncle Chang today. I wonder who will be the next person sitting on it tomorrow.

I bought some groceries at Carrefour in Plaza Singapura before heading home.

I shall go wash up now. I pray tomorrow will be a productive day for me as I prepare for the Youth Ministry (YM) lesson and also to discuss with my dear friend about the training session.

"Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should. Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone." Colossians 4:2-6

No comments: