Monday, May 07, 2007

Make Good Out Of The Bad

This morning I met a group of dear brothers-in-Christ for a time of fellowship over breakfast. One of them, during our conversation, asked me how come lately I sounded troubled in my blogs.

Well, it is true. That is due to the fact that I have been going through a period of trials - with people; thinking about my future; burdened by some matters in the ministries I am involved in.

I guess in my pilgrim's journey, there will bound to be ups and downs that I need to experience. It is of no doubt that I am going through a period of lows - hence my blogs have not been especially bright.

Well, this is part and parcel of life here on earth. I do not mind going through this time of trials because I know I can learn something from it. I pray the Lord will open my eyes and mind to the lessons that He wishes to impart to me.

So much for that. Just now I thought it was already morning when the time was only 11:15pm. The whole of today I have not been really too well physically. When I came back from the grooming centre for my doggy, I had dinner. After the meal, I was so lethargic that I decided to sleep, though I know it is not good to do so with a full stomach.

Then my brother came back around the time I mentioned above and I woke up suddenly. In my blurry state, I saw him in his working clothes and asked whether he was going to work. I even questioned why he was wearing the same set of clothes. He gave me this "huh" look and told me the time. It was then I realised it was still night. :)

Today I have been pondering on this word, "Pessimism". What sparked this thought was due to the fellowship I had with my dear brothers-in-Christ. We were discussing whether is it wrong for one to be pessimistic. Well, the meaning is basically "a tendency to expect the worst in all things".

I guess it is not bad for one to be pessimistic but the thoughts that the individual has must not cause him to react to all things negatively but instead to make something good out of them. Basically looking for the light at the end of the tunnel.

I always feel it is beneficial to be pessimistic at times as it allows an individual to see the worst of a situation so that after having that knowledge, he will be able to avoid certain pitfalls and find solutions to overcome obstacles.

I guess there is a reason for God to create some individuals to be more pessimistic than others. It is, in my opinion, to complement one another so that every one can see the best and worst of things and together they will work hand in hand to deal with them. This can be applied in friendship/relationship, at home, at work, in school, ministries at church, etc.

I can be pessimisitic at times but over the years, through my accountability to some siblings-in-Christ and friends, they have allowed me to see things differently. I praise the Lord for providing these persons as they have opened my eyes to see the hope in the worst of things. :)

I guess in this journey that one travels, we need to basically help one another. In doing that we can complement and supplement each other whenever possible and make this road of life easier to trot.

May the Lord also be our help.

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." James 1:2-4

"You are my lamp, O LORD; the LORD turns my darkness into light." 2 Samuel 22:29

No comments: