Friday, May 04, 2007

A Little Kindness Goes A Long Way

I just came back from lunch with some of the church staff. We went to Heartland Mall Hawker Centre for our meal.

Just when we found our table, I noticed an old man, probably in his early 70s, scouring the area as if he was looking for some things. After that, I went to order my food. When I went back to the table, he was no where to be found.

After lunch, the staff and I went to a bookstore to buy some stationeries. We shopped around the mall for a while.

When we were on our way back to the car, I detoured to the hawker centre planning to buy some pancakes for tea later. As I was doing that, I met the old man again. What I saw made my heart sank. He was basically waiting for customers to finish their food and when he saw leftovers, he would eat them even if it means only some meat left on the bones of the chicken.

Every one else was looking at him with this disgusted look but he was not affected. I could tell he was very hungry. I think trying to fill his stomach meant more than being bothered by what people thought of him.

I was moved to buy some food for him to eat. In the end, I got him a packet of chicken rice and went around the hawker centre looking for him. I managed to and gave him the packet of food. He bowed his head when he collected the food from me, looked up slowly, gave a faint smile and thanked me. I smiled back and asked him to eat while the rice is still warm. I pray that packet is enough to last him through the day.

When I bent down to pass the uncle his food, I also noticed that his right shin was bruised quite badly. I decided to buy some bandages and antiseptic lotion so that he can clean them. Again he smiled and thanked me.

I prayed for him as I walked away and hope the next day and the following - basically every day - someone would provide for him at least some food to eat. I also asked the Lord to heal his wound. I hope it will not get affected.

I left the hawker centre with one lesson learnt - look around whenever I am eating out. If there is someone who does not have the means to buy his own food, perhaps I should not just look at him or her and and show pity without doing anything else. The least I could do is buy some food for the person to eat. It may only last him a day but that is better than for him to go through it hungry.

I am sharing this not to boast about what I did but I am challenging all who read this blog to do something. A $3 meal may not be much to most of us but it may mean a lot to some who cannot even afford one.

May the Lord show His mercy and grace to these His creation - sometimes they need His blessings more than most of us.

"For he will deliver the needy who cry out, the afflicted who have no one to help. He will take pity on the weak and the needy and save the needy from death." Psalm 72:12-13

"He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God." Proverbs 14:31

"He who is kind to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will reward him for what he has done." Proverbs 19:17

No comments: