Sunday, May 13, 2007

Leave An Empty Chair Wherever You Are Seated

Today is Mother's Day. I wish all mothers reading this blog a very happy and God-blessed Mother's Day!

I gave mum one of my most personal gift on this special day - my flu bug! :( When I came home from church I realised she was down with flu and sore throat. Never knew this bug is so potent. It has hit three of us in the family already - mum, bro and me. I pray the bug will literally stop there and not spread to grandma or dad.

As my bro is away in China, the family did not go out and celebrate. Instead I cooked some of mum and grandma's favourite dishes yesterday. I also got them a cake. I hope they enjoyed the simple meal together.

I will be calling my God-Ma soon to send her my wishes! It is now in the morning in New York - shall wait a little while later before buzzing them as I believe Ma and Pa are in church now or on their way to church.

Anyway, I am listening to the news update on the television about the two National Servicemen from the Singapore Armed Forces killed in Taiwan when a fighter aircraft crashed into the building they were in. My heart goes out to their families. It is my prayer that God will comfort them during this time of mourning. Life can sometimes be so fleeting - one moment they were alive, the next they are gone.

I am also praying for the other two seriously-burnt servicemen that God will stabilise their condition and heal them completely.

The above accident reminded me of a note I received from a stranger a couple of days ago. This kind lady emailed and commented how come I have so many lessons to share in my daily blogs. Well, I guess the only time I will stop learning is when I was dead. If all of us are more aware of the things we do and say, of our surroundings, and of the effort we make to reflect about life, there will bound to have precious lessons for us to keep and share.

I am still learning not to take life for granted and live it one day at a time. I really do not know what would happen to me in the next step I take or the ticking of the next second or the typing of the next alphabet on this blog. I guess while I am still alive, I had better take the opportunity to learn some new lessons and to bless others with them!

During service this morning, I learnt a lesson about living an empty chair in my life or during my meals or when I am seated anywhere. What a weird lesson, right? It sounds and looks like one but I am going to make a conscious effort to practise this.

What is the empty chair for? Well, it is for those who do not have one to sit on; a person who does not have the means to buy a meal; a lost child (need not necessarily be someone young) who do have a family where love can be showered upon him - basically for someone in need.

As shared in my recent blog, there are many of these people, even in this prosperous island-nation. We just have to open our eyes and there will definitely be one not far from sight.

I will share my encounters or experiences during the week on this practice and see whether this lesson can be used powerfully for the ministry of God's creation and for the glory of His name!

This morning God answered a prayer which I really did not expect anything to happen when I shared with Him a burden last night pertaining to the lesson I was to teach at the Youth Ministry.

I shared with Him about my fears that the youths might have more doubts than affirmation of their faith after the session. The topic I was to teach was on the resurrection of Christ and the hope it offers. The whole idea was to prove that the resurrection of Jesus happened. Though I had all the points prepared, I guess there was still the human fear within me.

You know how it was answered? I did not have to teach about it at all. The debate I planned on this topic was carried out by the Youth Ministry Mentors (YMMs). I thank God they did a good job in sharing the points for and against the motion. Then I showed a movie clip on the crucifixion and resurrection.

It was here a dear brother, who is also the Assistant Pastor of my church, requested whether he could speak after the clip. He told me he would like to conclude the session. I agreed and this dear sibling-in-Christ rounded up the session for me!

Wow! God indeed provided in my time of insufficiency! I did not even hint to my Assistant Pastor about my fears and there he was, standing in front of the youths, sharing about his views. Hallelujah! God truly is awesome!

Well, I shall stop here. To God be the glory for today! Here's to a brand new week of adventure ahead! :)

"'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'" Matthew 25:40

No comments: