Thursday, May 17, 2007

Keep Encouraging One Another

I am now in Ngee Ann City Coffee Bean. I decided to come here to prepare the Youth Ministry (YM) teaching session for this Sunday. I decided to blog first before I get down to do the lesson preparations.

I went for a run earlier. I could not finish the distance I initially planned to cover but I am still thankful I was able to complete whatever my body could endure for today.

Well, as always I would talk to the Lord as I ran. I spoke to Him about the burdens and troubles in my heart and also my concerns for a few people.

As I was interceding for my siblings-in-Christ and friends, I was just wondering to myself whether from today onwards, I will just do that without making other moves like asking them how they are and all. Sometimes I feel by probing I affect them more than be of help to them.

There were several occasions where I got negative reactions from people. Just as much as I am burdened for them, I also do not want them to be irked by my being a "busybody."

I feel times have changed that nowadays showing care and concern is more a nuisance than an encouragement. I feel that in this current individualistic environment that we live in, there are the majority who do not like people to invade their privacy and sadly, this happens also in the Christian community.

Sometimes I do not know how to be a brother-in-Christ or friend to another anymore. Where I was once appreciated for what I did for my brothers and sisters-in-Christ and friends, I am now being shunned and sometimes seen as a pest.

But does this mean I stop doing what I used to do? This is the dilemma I am in.

Lately, I have been hearing statements being made like: "Let him be. If he chooses to live like that, it is his life."; "That guy is condemned, beyond hope!"; "Hiyah, he does not need my help!"; "The world is like that now, we cannot make much of an impact."; "I give up!"; "This church is like that. No point trying to do the right thing. The people will never learn."; "What's the point of wasting my time on him?"; "I am sick and tired of loving!"; "Forget it! It will never work!"; "It is better for me to mind my own business. What makes you think he needs my help?"; "Helping others is not my cup of tea."

In my heart, I know I should continue to do what I have been doing but how far will my tolerance last me and how much hurt and disappointment can I endure? Already I am on the verge of washing my hands off people's lives but I kept asking the Lord to help me press on.

It is depressing to write the above-mentioned but I thought I need to share these thoughts. What is the relevance of the church in the current world we live in? If I do not start thinking about this, my life as a Christian is of no significance anymore. Already the church itself is not practising love for another as much as she should, what makes us think we can make an impact outside the four walls of the church?

Where is God in all these? Is the Word of God of no power anymore to touch the lives of His creation?

Anyway, for the encouragers, I think we need to press on in doing what is right and good in the sight of God; We need to stop passing judgment on people too easily; we need to keep praying for the people we love and care for and ask God to use us accordingly to bless these persons; we need to ask ourselves what would Jesus have done in a given situation with a particular person; we need to put aside pride and prejudice when helping others; when helping others, do not think of self. Do not think of what we would gain out of it; we must also understand that problems do not always go away immediately. Patience must go hand in hand with them; remember that God is the ultimate One who will change the lives of the persons whom we want to help. We are just His instruments but we must always be available for Him to use us.

As for those of us receiving encouragements, be opened to help from others; just as much as we are struggling, consider the feelings of those who are trying to help us; be thankful that there are friends who want to be there for us; just as much as we can pray to God to help us in our struggles, be mindful that He sometimes use others to minister to us and to answer our prayers; we need to appreciate love and care from others though sometimes we feel we can handle problems on our own.

Well, my sharing above may not be conclusive and I may not always be right in what I have written. Even as I jot these thoughts down, I am also reflecting and evaluating on the points I have made.

I am at this point of my pilgrim's journey where suddenly I become unsure of my role as a brother-in-Christ and friend to another. It affects me because every one whom I consider as my friend means a lot to me.

May the Lord continue to show me new insights as I seek Him. Thanks be to God!

"Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality. Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited. Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord. On the contrary: "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head." Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." Romans 12:9-21

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you." Philippians 4:8-9

"Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. "Do not fear what they fear; do not be frightened." But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander. It is better, if it is God's will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil." 1 Peter 3:13-17

No comments: