Thursday, May 17, 2007

Obedience Is Better Than Sacrifice

I was in Coffee Bean for the longest time today - from 11am to 5:30pm. I thank God for the time well spent. Three things happened during that 6 1/2 hours: I completed my lesson preparations for this Sunday's Youth Ministry (YM) teaching session; I spoke to one guy called Gordon; and I also spoke to one lady, who is a playwriter, by the name of Gwenalyn.

I got to know the above two persons when I needed them to look after my notebook when I had to go to the restroom a couple of times throughout my stay at the cafe.

Gordon is a model-in-training who was waiting for his girlfriend. We did each other some favours when we needed to answer nature's calls. He was interested to know what I was doing when he saw me reading some notes and earlier when I was writing my blog.

Well, I shared with him that I blog almost every day. He was interested to know what are some of the things I write in there. I basically told him any one whom and everything that I encounter on a daily basis and also the lessons God taught me for the day. I also let him know that I write about the struggles I face in my journey.

He asked whether I could give him the name of my blog and I wrote it down for him. Gordon, if you are reading this - just want you to know that it was a pleasure to have known and spoken to you. :)

As for Gwenalyn, I did not really speak to her much as I did not want to give her the wrong impression. She was also interested to know what I was doing. She was commenting that I was quite intense when I was at the computer. I smiled and basically told her I was planning for the YM lesson and needed to get it done before the weekend arrives.

In return I asked whether those were scripts that she was reading. She acknowledged that and said she was preparing for the the Singapore Arts Festival, which is coming up, between 25 May and 24 June. We spoke a little about drama and she invited me to attend the festival. She asked me to give her a call so that she will reserve some complimentary tickets for me. I thanked her for that!

Well, funnily when I got the table at the cafe, I did purposely leave an empty chair. I praise the Lord I got to speak to two persons today - though they did not sit on that chair but still I am glad I managed to interact with Gordon and Gwenalyn.

For the YM lesson planning, this week's focus is on the Ten Commandments. To keep this short, I was reminded that God gave us commandments and instructions because man, in general, tend to be forgetful especially in what God has done for them. In rebelling, man begin to wander aimlessly and we also allow other gods take over the rightful place of God. Laws like the Ten Commandments and other instructions in the Bible basically allow man to be mindful to put God first in everything they do.

Well, I am glad to be reminded of this because it is indeed very easy for me to forget about God's goodness and faithfulness in my life.

I guess that is all that I want to write for today. Thanks be to God again for His guidance!

"Love the LORD your God and keep his requirements, his decrees, his laws and his commands always." Deuteronomy 11:1

"But Samuel replied: "Does the LORD delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as in obeying the voice of the LORD ? To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams." 1 Samuel 15:22

No comments: