Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Counting The Grace Of God

Today is a day of hospital visitations. I went with mum to collect her medical report. Well, a growth has been found where her womb is. The doctor suspects that it may be malignant. Tomorrow I will be bringing mum to a gynaecologist to seek a second opinion. I do not know exactly what my feeling is toward this revelation. I guess the time spent with God last night kind of prepared me for any bad news that I may receive today. This was one burden I shared with the Lord when I sat by the stairways.

I asked mum how she felt after receiving the report. She said she will leave it to God. I wanted to pray with her so we walked to the Botanic Gardens. We found a bench and we took the time to pray. I read to her my favourite verses from Philippians 4:6-7. I hope the passage has allowed the both of us to be assured that God is in charge and we shall leave Him to direct us accordingly.

I have broken the news to dad and my brother. Dad is not taking it too well. I decided not to reveal the news to grandma as I do not want her imagination to run wild. She has already lost two of her three children. I also do not want her to worry unnecessarily due to her old age.

I cannot deny that the whole afternoon, after sending mum home, I was thinking about her physical condition. I decided to go out. I headed for SKS Bookstore. It is just so amazing how great God is. I think He knew I needed some comfort and assurance. When I stepped into the store, the first thing I heard was a Chinese song sung by a local artiste, Kelvin Soh. He was an ex-drug addict who turned his heart to God and is now ministering to the inmates.

My competency in the Chinese language is not that great but the gist of the song spoke about counting the grace of God. The song further mentioned that every time we count His grace, they fill our eyes with tears because He is a God who never fails and that we should continue to trust in Him.

I really needed that comfort and it came so timely. Thanks be to Him for that! I bought the CD and I have attached the song to my blog. May the Lord bless and encourage your hearts as you listen to it.

I spent a considerable amount of time at the bookstore. I needed to buy some books for the workshops that I am conducting for the Youth Ministry (YM) Retreat in two weeks' time. I praise the Lord for allowing me to buy two books which I think will aid in my preparations.

After the purchase I walked to the Singapore General Hospital to visit the brother-in-Christ who was admitted on Sunday when he felt some discomfort around his chest after the service. He has bile duct infection and since Sunday his heart rate has been beating exceptionally fast. His temperature has also been fluctuating between 38.1 to 39.9 degrees Celsius. He is still in the High Dependency Ward. His wife is also not doing too well physically. Her tendonitis and trigger fingers are acting up and have caused a lot of discomfort. I hope the Lord will make her well as she needs to take care of her husband during this period.

After talking to the couple for a while, I prayed with them. Again I shared my favourite verses. I really hope the Lord will heal the both of them soon and that they will lead normal lives again.

I headed home after that. When I came back I was very hungry. It did not occur to me that I did not eat anything the whole day. I am thankful that God sustained me throughout.

I have another thing to share and again I want to praise God for His grace. I took a bus to SKS Bookstore and after alighting at the stop, I realised I left my newspapers and PDA on the bus. I tried to chase after it but it was too late. I sprinted to the other side of the road realising that the bus would be making a loop but just missed it when the traffic light turned green and it drove off. I pleaded with the Lord to help me. Just then a taxi came by and I flagged it down. I told the driver to give chase and after a few traffic lights, he managed to. I went up the bus and was so thankful that both items were still on the seat. Hallelujah!

I got back the items at the expense of my left knee. It is very painful now. I guess it is because of the running. I just took some medication and hope they will help cause the pain to subside.

I did not go for my driving lesson again - there was no time as we spent quite a while at the clinic with the doctor - enquiring about the various options.

Well, it has been an eventful day! Both pleasant and unpleasant things happened but thanks be to God still for them!

"May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word." 2 Corinthians 2:16-17

No comments: