Thursday, May 03, 2007

Setting My Heart And Mind On Things Above

After I finished preparing the Youth Ministry lesson at Coffee Bean, I decided to head for MacRitchie Reservoir to spend some time with the Lord. It was drizzling but I decided to go anyway.

I found a shelter near the canoeing centre. I basically sat there, observing the droplets of water all around me. The weather was cool. I took out my Bible, journal, turned on my laptop and basically read what had happened in my life for the past one month.

My conclusion for the month of April is this - it has been a mentally and emotionally-draining period for me. I had to deal with a major conflict in my life which is still ongoing; had to go on an oversea assignment which opened my eyes to a whole new understanding of suffering; battling certain thoughts and emotions involving people; breaking promises that I have made to some people; dealing with disappointments; overcoming some shortcomings in my life so that I do not stumble people; the need to allow others to understand me better; meeting some of the less fortunate by chance in this properous nation of Singapore.

Just as much as I struggled through the month, I am also thankful to God for teaching me many lessons to deal with the above-mentioned; for allowing me to find rest in my short weekend trip to Malacca; for the times of fellowship I had with friends over meals; for the moments of solitude and communion I had with the Lord; for the encouragements that some friends had given me.

After reading the above accounts of my life, I read God's Word and He gave me a passage from Colossians 3:1-17. It was a passage so relevant to what I was feeling when I was doing my monthly evaluation.

Some of the lessons I learnt:-

a) I was encouraged to set my heart and mind on things above and not on earthly things (vv 1 & 2). I guess it is good to do that as it allows me then to see things in perspective - that God is greater than all the earthly things in and around me.

It also reminded me to put Him first in all I do. If I allow earthly things to control me, then it is so easy to fall into the lures of this world. When that happens, God will slowly disappears in my life because everything else becomes more important than Him.

That is why the subsequent verses urged the readers to put to death whatever belongs to the earthly nature (vv 5-10).

b) The other reminder was the need for me to do what is pleasing in God's sight (vv 12-15). What struck me was the need for me to bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances I may have against one another. I basically need to put on the love of God in my life and always let the peace of God rule my life (vv 15a). I also need to always be thankful for everything (vv 15b) - sometimes it is tough but I have to keep practising this so that it allows me to see things in a more positive manner.

c) Like this passage that has struck me and brought encouragement to what I am going through now, I need to continue to let the Word of God dwell in me richly - not only for my own benefits but for others as well (vv 16).

d) Many times I find discontentment and dissatisfaction in some of the things I do. This is simply due to the fact that I am doing them for personal glory and recognition. This mindset has to change. Instead I need to do everything, whether in word or deed, in the name of the Lord (vv 17). When I am able to practise this, it will then allow me to always be thankful at all times.

After meditating on God's Word, I just kept quiet and went to God in prayer. It was refreshing to the soul and I praise the Lord for challenging me to do a few things this month - basically letting what I have learnt to overcome the struggles I am going through.

I also took the time to share with God the burdens of my heart concerning people and ministries. He is the only One who can help me but I also asked the Lord to grant me patience and perseverance. Some of the things I asked for, sometimes I hope they would be answered immediately but it is not always the case. That is why I need to learn to let God answer my cries in His time.

I guess that is all for my monthly evaluation. Tomorrow a few of my brothers and sisters are going to Phuket for a short weekend getaway. I pray they will have fun and great fellowship with one another. I am supposed to join them but chose not to due to some commitments I have made and other factors.

I also felt bad not joining another group of siblings-in-Christ yesterday for a time of fellowship. Initially I told them I would join them but had to back out as I had to assist in conducting the wake. Even if there was no wake, I also could not join them as there was also the Leaders' Prayer.

Well, time for me to stop here. It has been a thought-provoking day for me. Thanks be to God for the insights He has given me.

"Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory. Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. Because of these, the wrath of God is coming. You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived. But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator. Here there is no Greek or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all. Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." Colossians 3:1-17

No comments: