Thursday, March 29, 2007

Pressing On

Nothing is not worth doing when it is done in God's name and for His people. I was reminded of this when I went for a walk at the park and shared with God the concerns and burdens of my heart.

I think in my service to others, it is not about giving in proportion to what I receive; it is not about being fair; it is not about whether I am hurt or not. Serving people is not about me but them. There will be discouragements along the way but service continues because this will then allow me to seek God and consider as to how else I can help the individual. If I stop serving others because I face setbacks, then the victory goes to the devil. Every one else (including me) loses and the evil one triumphs.

Today, though my spirit has not been well, God still works in ways to show me that He is still there.

Since I had Sasha about 1 1/2 months ago, I have been bringing her out for walks almost every morning and some evenings. We have met many people of every kind - age, gender and race.

For a while we have been crossing paths with this Chinese man, probably in his early fifties, recovering from a stroke. His Indonesian maid will always bring him down for a stroll. He cannot walk fast and he needs the aid of a walking stick. He has not been smiling since the first day I met him.

Many times I brought Sasha close to him but he would just back off and walk on. I have been praying for him - asking God to bring back the joy in him despite of his ill-health.

This morning, Sasha and I met him again. He was sitting down on one of the stone-chairs. His maid was with him. I decided to bring Sasha to him again. It is amazing how my doggy behaves in ways I could never imagine. Sasha suddenly jumped onto the man's lap and started licking his hands.

When I saw what Sasha did, I was shocked. Just when I was about to scold her, I saw the man smiling as he continued to allow my dog to lick him. At that point of time, I just stood there full of praise to God for answering my prayers.

The man who has always been glum actually smiled. This encounter reinforced in me what I shared in the opening two paragraphs that nothing is not worth doing when I do it for God and His people and that I should always press on at times when I do not see immediate results. Eventually God will still work in His time.

There were moments I had told myself that this man will never be happy again. Who would? Especially when one is in his kind of predicament but God proved me wrong.

I forgot to ask the maid about the man's name. If I see them tomorrow, I will ask.

I came back not too long ago from the Missions Committee meeting. Frankly, before the session I was not in the mood whatsoever to chair the discussions. Lately I have not been having much zeal in carrying out my duty as the Missions Ministry chairperson. I have been rather lost and running out of steam.

I thank God that He still led us through the time spent together. He still got His work done through the rest. We also spent a considerable amount of time in prayer. The members prayed for me and in one of the prayers, one of them said that it is during times when God is working in a ministry that the devil becomes scared and tries all his ways to discourage the people.

I took that as an affirmation that we are still moving as a committee and that I should not let the daunting task of having to stir the church to be more involved in the work of missions to discourage me. At the end of it all, God will still move and it is up to me whether I want to trust Him to lead me or not.

Just a while ago, a dear friend messaged to ask how the meeting went and she commented that I did not look alright when she saw me in the evening. She said she will keep me in her prayers and that she will be available if I wish to talk or let out anything.

Well, praise the Lord for giving me friends like her. There are still a lot of things troubling me. I guess it will take time for me to overcome them, with God and my friends' help.

Time to go. Thanks be to God for today.

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

"Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose. Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the word of life — in order that I may boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing. But even if I am being poured out like a drink offering on the sacrifice and service coming from your faith, I am glad and rejoice with all of you. So you too should be glad and rejoice with me." Philippians 2:12-18

No comments: