Saturday, March 24, 2007

"Patience" Is The Word

I went out with the Youth Ministry Mentors (YMMs) to this place called Bottle Tree Park to fish. Not all could make it though it would have been nice but due to some unforseen circumstances, a few sent their apologies.

Anyway, we had two rods - from 2:30 to 5:00pm, we tried our hands to land in a few whopper catch but to no avail. Other anglers around us were able to hook at least one fish but for the group of us, we did catch something. It was quite hilarious actually - we managed to reel in someone's bermudas. Yup, a pair of green bermudas.

A couple of times I went away on my own to try another spot to cast the line. I also prayed, if possible, God could give us a chance to lure a fish to the hook. But one lesson I did learn in that two and a half hours by the pond. God was teaching me patience.

It has been two months since a very dear sister and I have not been sharing our lives with one another. She has been one of the closest persons in my life. I have been longing for those times when we could fellowship with one another, pray for one another, laugh over the things we talked about, share our woes, go shopping and eating together. Now we are so distant apart. I do not even know what has been going on in her life and I dare not probe for fear that I would offend her. I desire for our brother-sister relationship to be restored. Several times I was affected and frustrated over this. God told me to be patient.

My surgical wound has not been healing well. My life has been plagued with one medical problem to another. How I long to be a healthy person again so that I can exercise and stay fit. There were many occasions where I felt really lousy about myself. God prompted me to be patient - in His time, He will heal me and make me whole again.

I have been trying to reach out to my brother and also a few people but they have not been opened to God's saving grace. Sometimes I feel like giving up but God encouraged me to remain patient because He will eventually use me or another person to bring them into His kingdom.

I have not been finding much joy serving the Lord in the ministry He entrusted me to - the Mission Ministry. I have been clueless where it should be heading towards though there are many avenues for the church to participate. Sometimes I just thought to myself: "maybe another person would do a better job in stirring the ministry". I was rebuked by the Lord to be patient - to carry on the duties He has given me and take time to seek Him in prayer.

It has been many years I have been trying for my driving licence and till date, I have not been able to obtain it. Tried several times but failed. It took me seven years later, after a dear friend encouraged me to re-take my test, that I have decided to try again. Frankly I do not have confidence in passing the next test but I have been longing for that piece of card. God gave me that same word - "Patience". He assured me it will come eventually so long as I press on.

There are many other matters that I have been seeking the Lord in. Sometimes not hearing from Him can be very discouraging. Sometimes the message came and I was told to wait. I know all I have to do is just heed His advice but there were also moments where I just do not know how long more to wait. Still, He wants me to be patient because He knows when is best to give me the desires of my heart.

Wow, never knew a fishing trip today has reminded me one of the most fundamental lessons of the faith - PATIENCE.

I guess I will have to work on this because many times I tried to take things in my own hands. At the end of it all, I destroyed what I have longed for and also stumbled a few people. I do not wish to commit any more of such mistakes in this area.

Well, praise the Lord for the above-mentioned. I brought Sasha along to the outing with the YMMs. I am glad she brought much joy to those present and that she has been rather well-behaved. Today is a confirmation of all the trainings I have been giving her - I know she has learnt much and that both of us have been bonding well. At least good enough for her to respond and also staying close to me though she was unleashed almost throughout the time spent at the park.

Well, I shall end here. I am still feeling thirsty (for water, that is) all the time - I hope that is not a bad sign.

Anyway, thanks be to God for today, though we left the fishing ground empty-handed!

"I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD." Psalm 40:1-3

"A patient man has great understanding, but a quick-tempered man displays folly." Proverbs 14:29

"For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already has? But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently." Romans 8:24-25

"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance." 2 Peter 3:8-9

1 comment:

TR said...

A very touching, inspiring story. Thank you.