Thursday, March 08, 2007

Be Holy; For I Am Holy

This morning I went to the park for a run and then brisk-walked with my doggy, Sasha. I did not want to keep running for fear that the puppy might not be able to take the strenous exercise.

I ran two rounds and then walked two rounds. The weather was very cool and windy. I was hoping to catch sight of the pair of hornbills but did not see any today.

I thank God for sustaining me through the run and walk. I felt refreshed after that. I do not know about Sasha though. When we came back, she had her drink and next thing I knew she was already asleep.

During the four rounds of exercise, I took the time to pray for a couple of people; about the emptiness that I am currently experiencing in my life; about my health; about some other issues I am grappling with.

Oh yah, I met the Gurhka soldier again. He recognised me and smiled as we ran passed each other.

I also spoke to an old couple who were doing their morning walk. I have met them a number of times before. I was teaching Sasha some commands when they happened to walk past. Uncle Larry told me what I was doing was correct as in the trainings I was giving her. He has three dogs and one of them is also a Silky Terrier. He gave me more tips and they really helped.

I realised having a dog is good in allowing me to interact with strangers. It would usually start with them playing with the dog and then slowly we interacted with one another. Next, came introduction of names. I hope there will be more of such opportunities for me to know more people and hopefully along the way, it would give me a chance to share my faith to these, my new-found friends.

I went for another short walk in the evening. As I was strolling along, I was just asking God about the emptiness I was feeling and I kind of got a hint or two. I was reminded of the verse, "Be holy, for I am holy."

The word "holy" basically means "separate". When one chooses to live a life of holiness, he separates himself from that of sinful living to holy living. In this season of Lent I have been seeking the Lord with regard to throwing away my sinful nature and pressing on towards living a life pleasing in God's sight and being a testimony to Christians and pre-believers alike.

I have this urging to truly live my life in a manner where I will not allow sin to take control of what I do and think and say. I hope the Lord will convict me in what I have been doing so far regarding my lifestyle. I have let God down every day and I have also stumbled a few with regard to the things I say and do.

I will never be able to be sinless but I can definitely sin less as I press onwards in this pilgrim's journey.

May God be my help and may my life attract more than repel.

"Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed. As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; 16for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy." 1 Peter 1:13-16

No comments: