Sunday, March 11, 2007

Give Others A Chance To Change

Have you ever experienced a time where you judged a person's characteristic flaws and concluded that he will never be able to change for the better? It comes to a point where you become prejudice towards that individual and because of that there will always be a barrier between you and that person.

This has been running in my mind for a while already and I struggle with it because I have stereotyped others before and I also have been stereotyped by others.

I prayed about this and I was challenged to put the above-mentioned to a stop! Who am I to judge others that they will never be able to change for the better when God Himself has always been tolerant with my sins and even sent His Son to die on the cross and redeem my life?

It is always easy for me to stereotype someone but if I see that person as my friend or my sibling-in-Christ, then I should learn to accept him as who he is. In fact I should go one step further and walk with the person as he overcomes his shortcomings.

I definitely would love someone to do that with me as I strive to overcome the weaknesses of my life. I think the journey would be much easier as there will be accountability and support throughout the transformation process.

All of us need to learn to give others a chance to learn from their mistakes and change. We need to show grace just as God has been gracious to us.

This morning when I was playing the drums at the 11:15am service, the ulcer acted up again and it got really bad that I broke into cold sweat again, like the other day. I could not stop playing so I asked the Lord to sustain me and I am grateful to Him that He did. During the announcement time, I had to rush to the toilet to jab myself and I felt better, though the discomfort was still there.

I wanted to go home and rest but could not as I had to share my testimony at the Young Adults' Forum about how God has led me to where I am now in my career path.

A brother gave me a ride home after that.

As I was praying for some friends just before I decided to nap, another pain came and again it was not a mild one. I was very frustrated because most of the time it can be very trying physically, emotionally and mentally! There have been many occasions where I just cried out to God when He will stop all these physical struggles that I have been going through. Yesterday was one of those occasions.

I was grateful to a dear friend who happened to be online and I poured out my woes to her. She made me feel better as she brought me back to the right perspective of suffering. Whatever she shared with me were not new but when I am at a painful situation it is hard to put to practice what I know. I praise the Lord for providing her to me at the correct time.

Anyway, tomorrow is my check-up and I have a strong feeling that the doctor will recommend the surgery. I do not know when though. I guess I will be informed of the schedule after the medical appointment.

I really pray that after this operation, I do not have to worry anymore about my stomach ulcer. This is of course my desire but I do not know what God's plan is regarding this as I continue on with my pilgrim's journey.

Sometimes I wonder whether there is progress in this road that I am travelling on - many times along the way, I have faced many major setbacks: failures in studies, in relationships, in my health. Sometimes I admire others as in how they breezed through their studies, how they were engaged in a relationship and eventually got married; how healthy they are.

Sometimes I still feel I am a low-grade product. Well, maybe there's a reason for that.

Anyway, I shall stop here.

"Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace." Ephesians 4:2-3

"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity." Colossians 3:12-14

No comments: