Sunday, March 18, 2007

Being Real Before God

This morning I was teaching at the Youth Ministry on "God - The Name You Can Trust". We learnt about the many names attributed to God where every one of them speaks of His character.

As I was sharing my thoughts with my younger brothers and sisters-in-Christ, I was ministered by God Himself especially when I shared about my mum, as in how she used to abuse me quite a bit - physically, emotionally and mentally.

How I saw my mum, I mirrored that to how I view God as. I used to see God as one who is hot-tempered, abusive and strict. When I was a younger Christian I also could not accept some of His names because I just could not reconcile the fact that there is a God who loves and cares for me. Perhaps my mum had left too much scars (physical and emotional) in me to the point where I cannot see someone else who can be good to me.

Well, over the years as God ministered to me through my many failures and how He changed the lives of my family, even my mum whom I once thought would be condemned to the fiery depths of hell, it opened my eyes that He is a God who keeps His words and that He will never fail me.

Last night when I was looking through the lesson-plan, I was moved to write this statement about God and I thought I include it in today's blog. I shared this with the youths as well.

"The various names of Jesus Christ I've learnt
is not just for head knowledge
but for my heart to be assured
that this SAVIOUR I believe in
is a FATHER who loves and cares for me.
In times of my need,
I will approach no one else
except my GOD Almighty
because He is a FRIEND who lives up to HIS name
and never once will HE fail me.
This is HIS character that will remain unchanged forever!"


Well, praise the Lord for this assurance and for His ever-present help in times of need.

I was also ministered by today's sermon on worship. Lately I have been feeling rather down and there were many occasions when I just did not feel like worshipping God.

Well, Dr Lim Swee Hong woke my thoughts up when he shared that coming before God in worship is not about putting on a fake personality and the church is not for happy but forgiven people.

Many times Christians, myself included, do not wish to attend church when they are down or struggling with trials, knowing that it would be tough to worship God. But it is precisely during moments like these that we should come before Him - simply for the fact that He desires for His people to worship Him in spirit and truth. The word "truth" stated in John 4:23-24 means we should worship God in both good and bad times.

Well, it was a rebuke as well as an encouragement for me. Thanks be to God for teaching me the above-mentioned.

My surgical wound is still bleeding. If there's no improvement tomorrow I will probably go to the hospital to have it treated.

My heart lately has been feeling very heavy. Tried all I could to surrender my burdens to Him but still I feel very troubled. I hate this feeling but I guess I have to go through it in order for me to learn how to overcome this heaviness in me.

I guess that is all I have to share for today. To God be the glory!

"Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth." John 4:23-24

"Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior, who daily bears our burdens." Psalm 68:19

No comments: