Thursday, March 15, 2007

No Retirement In God's Kingdom

I was planning to do my lesson preparations at home for this Sunday’s Youth Ministry (YM) teaching session but it was a great struggle. There were just too many distractions: Sasha; bed; food; parents; and grandma.

In the end I decided to do something which I know I should not. I went out to a Coffee Bean outlet in the heart of Shenton Way. I like the place a lot as it is quite quiet though it may be located in the business district. This was the same joint I used when I was planning the first session with the youths a couple of weeks back.

Anyway, by the grace of God and also prayer support from a dear friend – she knew I was out when she called me to ask how I am and I had no choice but to confess to her – I was able to complete what I wanted to share! I was at the café from 11am to 3:45pm.

It felt good as I finished the last bits. I may fine-tune some parts in the coming days but overall I am grateful to God for His guidance. I joyfully messaged my friend about the finished work and left for home.

My prayer now is that the youths will be able to grasp the lesson on the various names of God as a representation of His character. Having that knowledge, may they always go to Him when in need, for I know it is the desire of God to see His children draw near to Him at all times.

Well, may God use me as a channel to bring forth this assurance to my younger siblings-in-Christ.

You know, I am, in a way, thankful to God that I made the decision to go out today. If not, I would not have the chance to encounter an interesting old person in the North-East Line (NEL) train while on my way home. I regarded him as an angel.

I boarded the train at Dhoby Ghaut Station. Just two seats away from mine was this old man. What drew my attention to him was that he was a very well-dressed elderly – crisp cream long-sleeved shirt with a reddish-coloured tie and a pair of black business slacks.

In his hands were two small diaries and a big Pitman dictionary. He also had a black sling bag which he tucked in between his legs.

Anyway, I went on to do my own stuff. The old man again caught my attention when I saw him tapped on the shoulder of a Malay woman, probably in her late 30s. He was offering his seat to her. Thinking that he would be alighting soon, she gladly accepted it.

One station went by but the uncle did not alight. Curious, the lady asked him and he said his station was Sengkang (the last station of the NEL). She felt bad and wanted to return the seat to him but he declined.

His kind act opened a channel for the lady to converse with him.

Since I went on the train, my throat was irritating me and I was coughing a little. At a glance I saw this hand with a tin box coming toward my direction. I turned my head and it was the old gentleman’s. He offered me a cough drop but I declined initially. He insisted so I took one and popped it into my mouth. The lozenges did help soothe my throat.

I was very curious to know more about this person. I left my seat and stood next to him. I shook his hand and introduced myself. It was here I got to know the gentleman’s name as Michael. I must say he has a very firm handshake. I shook his lightly for fear that I might break his fingers but I think mine could have been the ones broken.

Guess what? Uncle Michael is 112 years old. Guess what again? He is a retired pastor. He is one living example of a servant of God who never cease serving the Lord – truly living out this statement that there is no such thing as retirement in the Kingdom of God.

Every day this very old sibling-in-Christ goes around Singapore reaching out to families who are poor and dysfunctional. He also gives English tuition to those who cannot afford one.

In the midst of our conversation, Uncle Michael asked whether I am sick and I answered accordingly. He asked me to press on and assured me that I will be well. He also said that he will be keeping me in his prayers. I would like to take his word as an affirmation from God. In fact I know that He is already healing me bit by bit. My constipation was gone this morning when I was able to purge. The wound has not been bleeding much too. I know in His time, God will make me well again.

I have never seen such an old person with so much discernment and self-sacrificial spirit in him. There is this aura that attracts people to him and he brings smiles to those around him, as I have observed in the train.

His life humbled me and I was also rebuked to a certain extent. Already at the end of 35, I have thought of giving up serving the church and God’s people several times. Looking at Uncle Michael, I was challenged to serve the Lord all the days of my life.

May the Lord be my help and use me as an instrument of peace to the people I meet.

So, next time when you are on the NEL train, keep a look-out for a well-dressed old gentleman. If you see one, it is definitely Uncle Michael. Go and speak to him and be blest by his words and actions.

Did I regret going out today? Not at all. I am not justifying my actions but I think God has His purpose when I made the choice to do my lesson-planning outside of home.

Thanks be to God!

“Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.” James 1:27

“Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men, because you know that the Lord will reward everyone for whatever good he does, whether he is slave or free.” Ephesians 6:7-8

No comments: