Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Life Goes On

I have a couple of things to share in this blog and it is going to be a long write-up.

I am very tired physically and emotionally - first of all, I did not have enough sleep; the other reason is the medical check-up I had to go through the whole afternoon.

I was admitted into the Day Ward. The doctors and nurses ran a series of tests for my ulcer. I had blood, urine and stool samples taken from me. They did a biopsy where they took some tissue samples too. An Upper Gastrointestinal Endoscopy was carried out where a flexible viewing instrument was inserted into my mouth and through the esophagus and into my stomach. A Barium Meal Test was also administered where I had to drink this chalky solution so that it would line the Upper Gastrointestinal tract and had X-rays taken. I had to also undergo a breath test.

By the time everything was done which was almost 5:15pm, I was exhausted. Results will be out next Friday. I told a few friends Monday - got my dates mixed up.

Well, preliminary results showed haemorrhaging of the ulcer. My stools also have blood in them. The size of the laceration has also increased.

The above-mentioned does not sound good but I still want to praise the Lord for pulling me through the gruelling session. I sang praises to Him in my heart throughout and that helped me take the attention of the pain sometimes and fixed my eyes on Him.

Before I went for the check-up, I decided to go to the Paediatrics Department to pay the young patients a visit. Well, I ended up talking to one of the senior nurses whom I came to know after my constant visits to the department.

In one of my blogs last year I wrote about some kids I met when I visited their ward - the youngest of them all was named Shay. He was a three-year old kidney patient. I have been told he succumbed to the illness on 4 January 2007 where he had an infection and the doctor tried their best to save him but failed.

I recalled Shay as a cute chubby boy and I also remembered giving him a box of colouring tools just to bring a little of the Christmas cheer into his life. He opened the gift immediately and started drawing. I also remembered his parents whom I managed to pray with when I was giving out the gifts. I hope the Lord will continue to comfort them as they mourn the lost of Shay.

It is sometimes tough to know of news like the above-mentioned. Sometimes one wonders what was God doing and where was He when a small helpless kid like Shay was suffering from the infection. I am sure his parents and their loved ones prayed hard for his life to be preserved. How then will they reconcile with the term about God being able to heal?

I guess we will never be able to fully comprehend God's plan especially when it comes to issues like death. After going through a couple of years where I had to battle with my kidney ailment and stomach ulcers, sometimes the best healing one can have or hope for is death - where all pain and suffering will be gone once and for all. But the Lord determines when we should go so while we are still going through these earthly struggles, we must have the faith to believe that God knows what He is doing and it is for our best.

I believe God was there when Shay was going through his last days. If God is omni-present, then surely He is by the little one's side. I guess He did not want Shay to suffer any longer hence He took the boy to be with Him. I also know that Shay is now a new being - one that is physically spotless. I will meet him one day when my time here is up.

I actually wanted to share a parable that I got to know of tonight when I went for the last session of the "Into The Word" course on the Holy Spirit. I have decided to share this in my next blog as I am really drained.

I want to thank God for teaching me more of the Holy Spirit who has always been in me since the day I got to know Jesus Christ as my Lord and Saviour. I have decided to know more about Him in the days to come and to allow Him to work in and through me wherever I go. He has always been a controversial figure but when you get to know Him more, it is not that bad.

If anyone wants to be more effective in everything he does or to have a deeper passion for God, he must get to know the Holy Spirit. It is the Holy Spirit who will renew and transform us totally. I long for the Spirit to fall afresh on me and I know He will.

I had dinner with a dear friend and her sister in church. To me, I see the Holy Spirit working in my friend's sister's life. She has not been coming to church for a while but lately she got a nudge to do so and from the look of it, she is thirsting and hungering for more of God to be in her life. I know the sessions have transformed her and many who attended. This, to me, is a testimony of how the Holy Spirit can burst forth into our lives if we allow Him to.

I like this one phrase that the speaker used - one must have a Great Combustion (given by the Holy Spirit) in order to execute the Great Commission (given by God). I would like to have that Great Combustion because there are so many things I want to testify to others about God.

I may be going through some obstacles now and to a certain extent, I am also overcoming some of the lows in my life but I will press on. May God continue to show me more of Him and may I, in return, share more of Him to others.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." Isaiah 55:8-9

"If you love me, you will obey what I command. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever— the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him." Then Judas (not Judas Iscariot) said, "But, Lord, why do you intend to show yourself to us and not to the world?" Jesus replied, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me. "All this I have spoken while still with you. But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:15-27

No comments: