Thursday, February 22, 2007

Giving Thanks In All Circumstances?

I came back not too long ago from the breakwaters of East Coast Parkway. I decided to spend some time in quiet with the Lord. Tomorrow I will be receiving my medical report and I really have no idea what it is going to be. No denial that I am anxious but I told myself and prayed to the Lord that I should not let this affect or discourage me.

I am thankful to God for my favourite verses from Philippians 4:6-7. It allowed me to get my perspective right especially about anxieties where I should channel them to God in prayer with thanksgiving in my heart.

Over the years I have learnt to give thanks for the trials I face. It is never easy to have that kind of attitude but it sure allowed me to see things differently. In learning to give thanks for the circumstances I go through allows me to do the followings:-

1) It helps me understand that trials and struggles are faced by every one in this world and that I should not just see it as if I am the only one suffering. It stops me from complaining that life is unfair because there are others who may be going through situations far worst than me. It basically stops me from being sceptical.

2) In realising the above first point allows me to open and share my struggles with my siblings-in-Christ. It is important that support from the spiritual family be sought after so that we need not have to fight the battle alone.

"If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken." Ecclesiastes 4:10-12

3) It also reminds me that this life I live is not mine but God's. If He allows something to happen in this journey I am going through then surely He, being faithful and just, will provide a way out for me as well - sometimes that way out may even be death. But what is death? For Christians, it should not be a word to be fearful of. Instead we should look forward to the day we breathe our last as it would mean us being with God in eternity where there is no more struggles and strife.

4) To give thanks also teaches me to find peace and serenity in turmoil. I am not saying that I have attained this goal already but a true test of a person's faith in God is the ability to give thanks in difficult circumstances and continue to live life to the fullest. Not shaken but strengthened.

5) Having a heart of thanksgiving allows me to be still and know that God is God! Having that knowledge will then allow me to place my struggles before His throne of grace - to let Him, in His time, bring healing in my life. I basically have to let go and let God.

One of the songs I sang to the Lord just now was "Be Magnified". The words are below...

Be Magnified

Verse 1:
I have made You too small in my eyes,
O Lord, forgive me.
And I have believed in a lie,
that You were unable to help me.
But now, O Lord, I see my wrong,
heal my heart and show Yourself strong.
And in my eyes and with my song,
O Lord, be magnified,
O Lord, be magnified.

Chorus:
Be magnified, O Lord.
You are highly exalted!
And there is nothing You can't do,
O Lord, my eyes are on You,
be magnified,
O Lord, be magnified.

Verse 2:
I have leaned on the wisdom of men,
O Lord, forgive me.
And I have responded to them,
instead of Your light and Your mercy.
But now, O Lord, I see my wrong,
heal my heart and show Yourself strong.
And in my eyes and with my song,
O Lord, be magnified,
O Lord, be magnified.

I truly want God to be magnified in my life regardless of the highs and lows of the adventures I am going to face or facing. May He be my help.

Before I went to Marine Parade, I was with my God-Ma at Vivocity - she wanted to check the place out and I followed her around. We had tea and it was a great time catching up with her. She also encouraged me regarding my medical appointment tomorrow.

In the morning I was with a dear friend for a run at the park opposite my place. This is my second attempt in running after a long spell of injuries to my knees. I praise the Lord for the knee brace that my God-sister got for me last year. It has helped to secure my joints better as I run and it has also allowed me to pursue this passion since I was allowed to exercise about 1 1/2 years ago.

After the run, I introduced Sasha to my friend and we walked the dog and also played with it for a while at the carpark.

My friend is a little scared of dogs because she was bitten once when she was 7 years old, I hope Sasha will allow my friend to overcome this fear. I realised having a dog can be quite therapeutic.

Oh yah, Sasha has also allowed me to interact with strangers along the streets when I walk her to do her usual stuff.

I spoke to a lady in her sixties where she told me that she is also a Christian. She shared about her life and how she longs for her children to be closer to her, not in proximity, but in relationship. I told her I will pray for her and she invited me to go to her place one day, which is the block just next to mine.

I also spoke to a young mother today, This is the second time I saw her. The first was a couple of days back when she was with her son. I allowed Sasha to play with them and her son enjoyed the time. I hope to see her son again and I pray there will be ministry opportunity to invite them to church.

I am glad Sasha is my ministry partner in allowing me to interact with people. :)

I shall end here. Never knew I had written so much. Just could not help doing so because there are just so many things to share about God's goodness and the everyday encounters of life and people.

To God be the glory for everything!

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7

"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thesslonians 5:16-18

No comments: