Wednesday, February 14, 2007

God Never Short-Changes

This morning when I woke up, there was this very strong urge to call Shay's parents. I do not know why and how but I just felt I needed to talk to them to find out how they are.

When I reached the office, I went up to the rooftop to spend some time in prayer, seeking the Lord as to whether I should make the call or not. I told God if He wants me to talk to them, He would provide me their contact numbers.

I would not call the hospital as I knew there is the patient's confidentiality clause where no information would be given to the public except to the immediate family members.

The next avenue that came to mind was to call the church that Shay's parents worship in. This will be the only option where I would try. If it fails, then I would take that as a 'no' from the Lord.

I asked God to give me words of comfort should I managed to get in touch with the couple.

At around 9am, I contacted the church's office and I explained to the staff who picked up my call why I requested for the telephone number. I gave her Shay's parents' names. I thank God she agreed to it and I was given the boy's father's mobile number.

I called Jonathan during lunch-time. I introduced myself to him and immediately he remembered me as the guy who gave his son the colouring crafts. I apologised to him for having requested the church for his number and I also sent him my condolences.

We talked for about 10 minutes. I was updated on how Shay passed away. He basically contracted pneumonia on the eve of the new year. He was admitted after the doctor found out that his left kidney has collapsed. The doctor gave him all the necessary treatment but it did not help. His right kidney got infected and on 3 January, that one kidney also collapsed. He passed away on the morning of 4 January at 2:12am.

Jonathan told me Shay did not cry a bit when he was going through his last hours. I guess the reason for that was due to the fact that Jesus was by his side. I comforted Jonathan with those words.

Before we hung up, Jonathan told me his wife is expecting and the baby will be due in June. When I heard that, I knew God is good and faithful to have done this for the couple. I hope the baby will be delivered on 9 June. I wonder why. :)

That is the nature of this Almighty God whom I am worshipping. He never short-changes His children though sometimes we feel He does. If God wants to short-change us, He would not have, in the first place, given us His one and only Son to die for our sins. He could have given us the next best but He did not. He gave us His BEST; His most beloved!

Shay's death has reminded me of one song that I heard from yesterday's "Into The Word" session. Below are the words...

When It's All Been Said And Done

Verse 1:
When it's all been said and done,
there is just one thing that matters.
Did I do my best to live for truth?
Did I live my life for You?

Verse 2:
When it's all been said and done,
all my treasures will mean nothing.
Only what I've done for love's reward
will stand the test of time.

Chorus:
Lord Your mercy is so great
that You look beyond our weakness
and find purest gold in miry clay;
turning sinners into saints.

I will always sing Your praise
here on earth and ever after;
for You've shown me Heaven's my true home.
When it's all been said and done,
You're my life when life is gone.

At the end of my pilgrim's journey when it's all been said and done, what matters is whether I have lived my life for God, regardless of whether sometimes I feel He had been unfair or unjust.

I want to constantly remind myself (with the assistance of the Holy Spirit in me) that since I have made Jesus as my Lord and Saviour, I must believe that He will do what is best for me in this life I live.

What God has done in Shay's parents' lives is a testimony of how He does not leave us in a lurch after He had put us through a trying period. He will be there for us all the way. If you do not believe, stick with Him through your trials and you will testify for yourself that God Never Fails!

I want to take comfort in the above encounter with Shay's parents. I am going through a lot of pain and discomfort now but I am going to trust my God to pull me through it - be it physical healing or ultimate healing, so be it. May His will be done. Surely He can hear my cries and plea for help!

Looks like I have to postpone the sharing of the parable I promised. I will do so tomorrow.

Today being Valentine's Day where love is the theme of the day, may it remind us all of God's love in our lives.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you." Jeremiah 29:11-12

No comments: