Wednesday, February 21, 2007

God Forgives

Today is the first day of Lent. It is a season of 40 days, not counting Sundays, which begins on Ash Wednesday and ends on Holy Saturday (the day after Good Friday).

‘Lent’ comes from the word ‘lencten’, which means ‘spring’. The reason is a preparation for celebrating Easter.

Historically, Lent began as a period of fasting and preparation for baptism by converts and then became a time for penance by all Christians. It is a time to think about things that we have done wrong and spend time with God acknowledging our sins.

I attended the Ash Wednesday service just now. I wanted to start off this season listening to God’s Word for guidance. I thank Him for the message where the speaker was urging the congregation to consider confessing our sins (specifying each and every one of them) to God daily and not to treat it lightly but with the desire to repent.

Throughout the time spent in the sanctuary, I had this sense of peace and assurance that God is always ready to forgive us when we, ourselves, are ready to confess. God always wants to forgive and heal us hence, this is a period to ask God to help us change from doing things that are wrong, to doing things that are right in His sight.

There are times when we feel that God may not forgive some of the sins we have because of the notion that they are more serious than the other sins committed. I believe a sin is a sin and there are no such things as one being more serious than the other.

When Christ died on the cross, He did not die for some but for all. He died for all of man’s sins and not some. I am reminding myself not to listen to the lies of the evil one where he may cast doubts in me about the grace and mercy of God. He is impartial.

I hope to use this season to strengthen my faith in God and also in my knowledge of what forgiveness and repentance is. This is part of the pilgrim’s journey that I will practice annually so that I can constantly renew myself in the Lord and also to grow deeper in my desire to live a life of godliness and holiness.

Just now when I was praying, I already had this accusing voice telling me whether I could keep to my words and really repent. I admit it will be an uphill task but it is not impossible if I trust God to run along with me and help me.

Well, I am looking forward to the remaining 39 days of Lent. I will share more of my thoughts in the following days when God teaches me more from His Word.

I want to update on Grace’s condition now. The family may decide to pull the plug off the respiratory machine if she does not wake up from her coma tomorrow (LA time). It is a tough decision they have to make and I pray God will guide them accordingly.

In the midst of this sad incident, there is joyous news as well. Grace’s husband accepted Jesus Christ as His Lord and Saviour today! Praise the Lord!!! Gilbert is also ready to let his wife go.

You know, I still want to believe in miracles. So long as Grace is not declared dead by the doctor, I will still pray for healing. If God allows, He can and will bring Grace out of her coma.

I believe God’s hand has been with the family all these while though it is difficult to comprehend how that can be so.

There are a couple of young adults from my church who is in Los Angeles now holidaying. They have taken time off to be with the family. They have been praying for Grace and singing hymns. Another sister-in-Christ, who is doing her post-graduate studies in L.A., has been spending time with the family too – driving them around to handle certain matters.

I see the above-mentioned as an avenue to the family not to deal with this time of pain and struggles alone. Instead He has provided these brothers and sisters-in-Christ to be there with them - to provide their shoulders for those affected to cry on and to support them.

“Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me. Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you are proved right when you speak and justified when you judge. Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me. Surely you desire truth in the inner parts; you teach me wisdom in the inmost place. Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow. Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones you have crushed rejoice. Hide your face from my sins and blot out all my iniquity. Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.” Psalm 51:1-12

“You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.” Psalm 51:16-17

No comments: