Friday, July 29, 2011

Tanned Marks Which Sparked A Conversation

This morning after my walk at the park, I had cravings for 'wanton' (dumplings) noodles. As I know of a stall in Cassia Crescent (near the Old Airport Road market), I decided to head there for my breakfast. Sasha, my Silky Terrier, walked with me just now. I think she is quite weak. After walking around the park once, her tongue was so long that it could just touch the ground. :) Anyway, since she wanted to go out with me, she had to endure another two rounds. :(

When we reached home and after I washed her feet, she just went to her favourite corner in the living room and slumped on the floor. When I left the house for Old Airport Road, she just could not be bothered to see me off as she usually would at the gate. Poor doggy.

In my next walk, I shall bring the two fatty hammies with me. It would be the start of their Tough Club programme. One of them (the darker grey one) just jumped out of the cage when I opened the food container. It could not run fast as his tummy was rubbing against the table top. Maybe later when I go home, I will try to drop the hammies on the floor and see whether they will bounce. Hee. I also wonder whether pet shops sell leashes for hamsters. :)

I was happy that the 'wanton' noodles stall was opened. After receiving my order, I went to sit down on one of the tables occupied by an elderly gentleman. The coffee shop was crowded so I had no choice but to share table.

Anyway, after I took my first bite of the yummy noodles, the uncle started talking to me. He is a very chatty guy and quite funny too. He must have seen my feet somehow or rather and candidly asked me how come there are funny shapes on them. Initially I did not know what he was talking about. When I realised he was referring to the tanned marks, I explained to him that they were due to the regular fishing trips which I did prior to my surgery.

When he heard that, he was like "Orh!!! Tao tao hua seoh an chua lerh eh ang kong ah neh guai eh." That was the Hokkien dialect. He was basically saying, "Orh!!! I was just wondering how come your tattoos are so funny." Haha. I almost choked on my noodles when he said that. Hilarious!

That sparked off our conversation. I introduced myself and he did likewise. He just asked me to call him Ah Hong. As we continued chatting over a plate of noodles and a cup of coffee, a couple of his friends came by to greet him. I heard some of them addressing him as "Hong Kah Cik" (Uncle Hong Kah).

That led me to ask him whether he is a Christian because 'Hong Kah' in Hokkien means Christian. He laughed and said if he was a Christian, God would be vomitting loads of blood because of the kind of life he lives. He did not elaborate though and since this is the first time we met, I left it as it was. I laughed with him and basically told him that I am from a church in 'Ang Sa Li" (Serangoon Gardens) and he said he knew of that place as he used to stay in the Punggol area.

Well, he kind of made my day because I did not expect to talk to anyone when I had my cravings. I also never knew that my tanned marks would have sparked a conversation with a total stranger. Oh yah, I treated him to a bowl of soup noodles and he thanked me for it.

I shall keep this gentleman in prayer. Perhaps I will visit this coffee shop more often since I like the noodles and hopefully I can talk to Ah Hong more often.

I heard a lot about a beancurd stall in the Old Airport Road market. I went to search for it and finally found it but to my disappointment it was still closed. Actually the shutter of the stall was half-opened and I could see containers of beancurd in the refrigerator but the owner refused to sell them to me though I wanted only two. As I could not wait as I was expecting a ride from a dear sister-in-Christ, I guess I will come again another time. :)

Well, a great start to the day. I shall anticipate and see what other adventures the Lord has for me.

"Keep on loving one another as brothers and sisters. Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it." Hebrews 13:1-2

"Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should. Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone." Colossians 4:2-6

No comments: