Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Blessings

BLESSINGS
by Laura Story
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CSVqHcdhXQ)

We pray for blessings
We pray for peace
Comfort for family, protection while we sleep
We pray for healing, for prosperity
We pray for Your mighty hand to ease our suffering
All the while, You hear each spoken need
Yet love us way too much to give us lesser things

Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears
What if a thousand sleepless nights
Are what it takes to know You’re near
What if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise

We pray for wisdom
Your voice to hear
And we cry in anger when we cannot feel You near
We doubt Your goodness, we doubt Your love
As if every promise from Your Word is not enough
All the while, You hear each desperate plea
And long that we'd have faith to believe

Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears
What if a thousand sleepless nights
Are what it takes to know You’re near
And what if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise

When friends betray us
When darkness seems to win
We know the pain reminds this heart
That this is not, this is not our home
It's not our home

Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears
And what if a thousand sleepless nights
Are what it takes to know You’re near
What if my greatest disappointments
Or the achings of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can’t satisfy
And what if trials of this life
The rain, the storms, the hardest nights
Are Your mercies in disguise

I listened to the above song on Sunday at the service and tears just rolled down as the words are exactly what I am going through now.

Then yesterday this song became more of a cry to God because I just felt that no one appreciates what I do for them. Sometimes I feel I am more of a pain to them and it hurts when all these while my intention was to ensure that their spiritual, physical, emotional and mental needs are taken care of. At times I have to go through the inertia to be there for them because I myself have my own struggles - my ill-health and my burdens. I am not trying to gain any glory or recognition by saying all these... these individuals means so much to me that I cannot use my problems as an excuse not to be there for them.

But what do I get in return? I was told to make space for one. Another got angry with me for an advice I gave. Yet another now distant himself from me because I tried to right some negative thoughts in him.

Yesterday was the last straw when I had a quarrel with my dad. From a good intention I had in advising him to watch his hygiene, I was told off by him - that I should not talk to him as if I am his father. I never had that thought and this was said of me by a father I love.

I left the house because I could not take it anymore. I just needed to be away from everyone and everything. I went to Sentosa boardwalk to be quiet before God and played this song as I walked along.

I told God that I have always spared a thought for the people I love, being there for them, trying to help them, thinking of all possible ways to make them happy even at times when I find it hard to be happy.

How many of these individuals have spared a thought for me? Instead of getting a "thank you," I got blamed for voicing my concerns/views. Here I am trying to help them avoid the pitfalls of life and there they are walking directly into them because they want to venture life on their own.

I told God perhaps I should lay off loving and caring for people because it is pointless. I know I should not expect to receive when I give but how I wish sometimes some appreciations are shown... I am a human and I have feelings too.

I do not know how long more I have on earth but as the words of the song above states, "When friends betray us. When darkness seems to win. We know the pain reminds this heart that this is not, this is not our home. It's not our home."

I know all these will go away one day when I leave this temporary dwelling place. There will be no more disappointment, hurt, etc but while I am still here I shall try to persevere and continue to love unconditionally. It is still going to be a struggle but I will try.

It is my prayer though that we all learn to appreciate the love and care shown to us by others; to heed the counsel of those who have gone ahead of us even though we want to be independent; to accept that in this world we cannot journey through life alone. Do consider the feelings of those who love and care for us. Some of our lives may have moved on but what we may have left behind are some broken-hearted individuals who had put us first before themselves.

Well, I guess there are blessings afterall through raindrops; healing through tears; the realisation that God is still near through the many sleepless nights one may experience.

Trials of life, at the end of it all, are indeed God's mercies in disguise.

No comments: