Saturday, July 09, 2011

Free Will To Live

I just finished spending some time with God reading His Word and praying. At 2.30pm, I am supposed to bring some youths, who will be going on a mission trip at the end of this year, to Contact 123, a community outreach centre, for them to be involved in reaching out to some of the youths living in the neighbourhood.

I thought while waiting for them to arrive that I jot down some thoughts I had when I was reading God's Word.

I want to share that in this life we live on earth, God gives us the free-will to decide how we want to live our lives. He does not want to control us like robots but at the same time He also does not leave us totally to be on our own. He provided us the Bible which is His Word, the avenue of prayer where we can speak to Him, the discipline of being quiet so that we can listen as the Holy Spirit in us prompts and the fellowship of believers so that we can keep each other accountable and also to walk with each other through this journey.

The further we are from God, the resources I mentioned above become insignificant because we want to use our human understanding, wisdom and desires to live our lives . But the closer we are to Him, we value what the Word of God says, we pray about the plans we may want to embark into, we listen to what the Holy Spirit speaks and also we seek the counsel of some siblings-in-Christ we look up to.

When we are able to do all these, they give us the confirmation that it will be ok to go ahead.

What I was comforted about is this - even if we choose not to use these resources God has provided and still go ahead with our own plans, God does not punish us by leaving us to fend on our own. He will still be there to catch us and help us right the path.

That is how wonderful and gracious God is.

Well, time to end here. Need to meet the youths.

"Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path." Psalm 119:105

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6

“All this I have spoken while still with you. But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:25-27

"Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up. Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken." Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

"Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed." Proverbs 15:22

No comments: