Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Effective Counsel

I am now waiting to see the doctor for the discomfort I have been feeling lately around my chest and also the pain of my right arm. The waiting time is about an hour so I thought I take this moment to blog.

I was just reflecting through the past one month or so and I am thankful to God for providing me godly counsel through a few siblings-in-Christ: some of whom I know very well; and one I do not know at all but was referred to me yesterday by a dear pastor-friend.

What they have done for me will be something I will do for others in future. What I have learnt from them will make me a more effective counsellor simply by observing how these siblings-in-Christ went through the effort to understand my struggles.

Below are a couple of pointers in providing godly counsel:-

1) A Genuine Desire to Help

This attribute is something which really touched my heart. These siblings-in-Christ were willing to sacrifice their busy schedules to make time for me. Even the one whom I do not know but met yesterday was so kind to schedule a session with me. He could have given reasons that he has many appointments that day or he needed to rest from his busyness or he does not feel comfortable because we do not know each other. Instead he spent close to two hours with me.

These dear siblings-in-Christ simply availed themselves, came out of their comfort zones, and allowed God to use them to bless my life.

2) Not Assuming

All these individuals who have made an impact in my life these few weeks came with a non-assuming attitude. They knew roughly what I am going through lately but they did not stop there. They asked questions (sometimes difficult ones) and probed me in my deepest most thoughts so that they know exactly what I am going through.

3) Not Judgmental

I shared with them my shortcomings/weaknesses and certain sins I have committed during my times of disappointment, anger, resentment, fear, etc. Instead of saying I cannot do this or that, they simply asked me to release all these out of my life so that they will not become my strongholds. This is really important because we cannot let the evil one use all these to his advantages and create more havoc in our lives or in our relationship with others.

4) Willingness to Simply Listen

So far in all that I have written above, one important area in helping someone is the willingness to simply listen. Sometimes there is this urge to give our opinions too quickly but in these dear individuals God has provided me in my difficult times, they just kept quiet and allowed me to pour out my burdens/concerns/pain.

Sometimes a counsel provided through listening brings more healing to an individual than a counsel of many words. Not that the latter is ineffective but I guess it needs to be applied accordingly in different circumstances.

5) Encouragement from the Word

Many of the advice given to me were Word-based and this really draws my attention back to God. Ultimately I will have to depend on Him for the struggles I may be experiencing at all phases of my life.

This actually gives me the desire to want to read God's Word even more because that is where He speaks and also provides guidance in how to overcome my struggles or doubts.

6) Being a Prayer Warrior

What really comforted or assured me after meeting these brothers and sisters-in-Christ is that they have committed themselves to pray for me regularly. Some even take the effort to message on a daily basis to ask me whether I have any prayer needs.

God is indeed good. All that these dear individuals have done for me lately have made me realised how blessed I am. It also reminded me that God will never leave nor forsake me. He is always there. :)

It is about time to see the doctor. I hope there is nothing wrong with my heart.

Have a blessed day, everyone!

"Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones." Proverbs 16:24

"A person finds joy in giving an apt reply — and how good is a timely word!" Proverbs 15:23

No comments: