Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Agony Of Intercession

It is already 3.07am but I am still awake. I was awoken suddenly around 1.30am because my heart became troubled. Since then I have been praying. The past one and a half hours have been one of the most toughest times of intercession I have gone through.

I have been burdened for someone but you know sometimes you just do not know how to pray for that individual because you are unsure whether it is the right prayer or not. Well, I struggled with that throughout the whole moment talking to God. I kept asking Him to search my heart and I hope by constantly checking on my motives, my cries to God have been in accordance to His will and that He will answer my requests accordingly.

"This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him." 1 John 5:14

There were also moments when I just do not know how else to pray anymore. I have told God all the concerns I have for this person. In fact some prayers have been repeated a couple of times for the past few weeks. I also shared with Him the pain that I am going through now and told Him I am at my wit's end. I basically asked of the Holy Spirit to intercede on my behalf...

"In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God. And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:26-28

I was praying against the work of the evil one too. I cannot discount the fact that he is lurking around trying to find opportunities to use circumstances or during moments when one is not watchful to destroy certain good works which God might be doing in that person's life. The devil may also use opportunities to lure that someone away from God using distractions around. I basically asked God to protect this dear one.

"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you." James 4:7

Throughout I was wondering what is God's will in this person's life and why is it that I am so troubled. All I know is that this individual means a lot to me and I cannot help it but to pray. I guess this is the least I can do. I was also wondering when and how God will answer my prayer but as I kept still and pondered, I realised I should not be bothered by this because God will make all things beautiful in His time (Ecclesiastes 3:11). I also know that this individual means a lot to Him and surely He will not leave nor forsake this child of His.

It is not easy to pray but I am thankful that I am learning to turn my burdens to faith. I am a human who has limitations but my God does not. I am grateful to Him that I can channel these burdens to Him. I told God sometimes I wish I could see Him just to be sure He has heard me but that is not the point because "faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see." (Hebrews 11:1)

I have done what I can for this dear individual. The rest I will let God take over.

I need to sleep.

No comments: