Saturday, July 02, 2011

The River That Brings Life

Now I know why there are so many in this world who are proclaiming aloud that God is great.

Yesterday I had an encounter with the Lord.

I was scheduled for a surgery yesterday at 10.00am but prior to that, I encountered a crisis which almost made me decide to postpone the operation. Emotionally and mentally I was not ready but in the end I was encouraged by someone to go for it.

I told the Lord before I was put on general anesthesia that I will leave the crisis to Him. I also asked Him to help me deal with the situation when I am conscious again.

I was awake at around 3.00pm. The nurse told me I have been unconscious for about 5 hours. I was updated on the surgery which took almost 2 1/2 hours rather than the scheduled one hour as I was bleeding quite badly. Praise God that the bleeding was plugged and the surgery a success.

This was not the encounter I was referring to above. The spiritual experience was a dream I had while I was unconscious. I do not know how this can be explained but I guess it is the same as one being able to have dreams while he or she is asleep.

I dreamed I was standing by a river. The water was not flowing rapidly. It was a gentle flow. I remembered having this light constantly shining down where I was. Then I stepped into the water and took a dip and when I came out of it, I felt my spirit being lifted! It felt that I was cleansed; made new again!

I did not have that choked up feeling. No more that guilt I have been experiencing. It was contrary to what I was feeling before the operation.

I shared with my sister about this. I told her I have not had this experience for a real long time already. I also told her that surely the Word of God has something to say about this.

I had to stay in the observation ward for a couple more hours. When I was given the all-clear, I did the discharge procedures and headed home.

I had something soupy for dinner and after that I gathered my parents and grandma and told them about my surgery. I did not tell them before as I was afraid that they would not be able to take it well and be worried about me which would then affect their health. When I woke up in the ward, there was this nudge telling me to inform the three elderly folks about it. The peace I received was on the part where this could be an opportunity for us to channel all our worries to God in prayer as a family.

My grandma cried and my parents were concerned but I encouraged them to pray for me.

I rested for a while and when I woke up at around 9.15pm, I decided to take out my Bible and sought the Lord on the dream I received.

Two passages I read:-

Psalm 1:1-6:

"Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers, but whose delight is in the law of the LORD, and who meditates on his law day and night. That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither — whatever they do prospers."

Psalm 23:

"The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever."

From the first passage, I guess God wants me to go back to His Word. I confess I have neglected that for a while already. I thought what I have learnt and kept in my heart in my Christian journey were sufficient but I guess my attitude towards His Word should not be that way. It may be the same passages I have read before but God may reveal new things in the current circumstances I am in. I guess I should not be contented with what I have already received but to continually yearn and hunger for more of His Word that gives life. This is one source where God speaks; where God reveals; where God gives refreshment.

The second passage gives me that sense of calm/peace that God is in control of everything. I would like to receive this as an affirmation on two things: one was the dream I mentioned above and the other was a conversation I had with one of my church's lay-ministry staff last week. In that time spent with her, which was not planned at all, she told me I am burdened and feeling tired over a few things in my life: the missions ministry I am chairing; my family; my health; and also a loved one. Prior to this conversation, I did not give any update to her on these. She challenged me to turn these burdens and sense of exhaustion to that of faith. She reminded me that God can and will always be in charge of these four areas. She also assured me that God will take care of these areas in His time. The thing is whether I am willing to let Him do so. I did take up that challenge but the few days after, I snatched them back from God and tried to deal with them using my own strength and understanding. Of course I became troubled again.

Yesterday when I came around from the general anesthesia, I was determined to surrender these to God. It was suddenly so clear to me that I cannot control these with my own understanding. The one and only way is to let go and let God. Surely God's goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever!

Amazing, isn't it? Never knew an operation I had to undergo can bring about such revelation. I was telling my sister that it was like God had me sat down in His presence for 2 1/2 hours and he spoke to me all these.

I want to share this so that those who read my blogs and believe in God can be encouraged and challenged to not let the Word of God depart from our lives but to constantly read them no matter how sometimes we struggle to want to do so due to the lures of this world. Many times we complained that God's Word is not relevant anymore. Well, based on this encounter I had, it is still relevant. It is a matter of whether we want to be teachable. God is never far away from us. He is as close as where our Bibles are kept. He is as close as where we go on our knees and pray.

To God be the glory! My heartfelt thanks to those who prayed for me during the surgery; who offered to fetch me to and from the hospital; who wanted to buy stuff for me so that I can be kept occupied at home; and also to a sibling-in-Christ who went to the hospital to visit me during her lunch-break but was turned away due to the no-visitor rule for post-op patients. All of you have been a great blessing to me! :)

God is good and His love endures forever and ever! :)

No comments: