Thursday, July 28, 2011

Look Out; Reach Out

In my previous blog, I mentioned that an acquaintance just committed suicide. In my conversation with a sister-in-Christ, I realised I taught his two children before in Sunday School. I could vaguely remember because this was several years ago.

Their father was apparently suffering from depression and I guess it hit a point where he could not take it anymore.

I do not wish to sound morbid here but when I was going through a difficult time taking care of my ailing parents and grandma and on top of that having to deal with other personal struggles, there were moments when I could hear voices telling me to end it all so that I do not have to deal with the woes of life anymore. In two instances they sounded like a solution but I prayed against them.

It was from these two experiences that caused me to talk to God and some closer siblings-in-Christ about my struggles. This helps because I am no more carrying the burdens alone and I know I have my siblings-in-Christ to keep watch over me and also for them to pray for me.

The problems may not necessarily go away immediately but at least I know now that I am not fighting alone.

It is sad that I have to use this incident to share things like the above-mentioned. I guess this is where we need to be more aware of the lives of our friends. When we know someone is depressed or struggling with certain areas in his life, try to make time for him. Do not assume that he will be alright in due time. We will never know. This may mean taking some precious time off you but if you can make a difference, I think it is worth the sacrifice.

What some of my closer siblings-in-Christ have done for me have ministered to me powerfully and it sure makes my life's struggles easier to handle.

Let us please look out and reach out.

"Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ." Galatians 6:2

No comments: