Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Love The Accuser

I am at the airport now. I am going to send a dear friend off at around 9pm. Since I had nothing to do at home, I thought I come here early to just do some reading and also to write this blog. Time really flies and now my friend is leaving. I remembered we were talking about all the preparations and having a few more months before her departure. Anyway, I am going to miss her as she has been a wonderful friend - always a blessing in my life and I believe, in others as well.

Frankly, I do not really like farewells because to me it is a painful thing. It is always better to have friends, especially those whom I am close with, to be near than far so that it is easier to catch up. Nothing beats meeting up in person to fellowship. I guess there is a season for everything - sometimes facts like friends leaving for studies or to work are inevitable. I guess this is where I thank God for the advancement of technology where there are facilities like Skype, MSN, emails, etc, to maintain the line of communication.

This morning I learnt something about not spoiling someone's day because mine was spoilt by a lady I encountered with at the SingTel shop in Bugis Junction. I went to the shopping centre to change an item at a gift shop and decided to detour to the telecommunications shop to check out some handphone numbers. As the numbers were pinned on the board near the cashier, I had no choice but to squeeze my way through the queue to look at it. A while later, I heard this very hostile voice with this loud remark, "Excuse me!!! What are you trying to do?" I looked at this middle-aged lady and she glared at me. She said that I was standing too close to her when I was actually a few feet away from her. In fact when I was looking at the board, she was not there. Anyway, I told her I was looking at the numbers and she gave me this suspicious look, as if I was going to outrage her modesty by purposely standing too close to her. She continued to stare at me but I ignored her and went on to check out the mobile numbers.

When I turned around to walk away, the fierce lady still gave me that look. I went to her and asked whether she had an issue with me earlier when I was looking at the board. She asked me not to try to be funny and I was puzzled. Anyway, a SingTel staff who had seen me near the board told the lady that I was there before her.

You know, it is people like this lady who sometimes caused others who are innocent to be maligned. The worst thing is, it is a lady's word against that of a man. I was quite irked by this incident. If I had touched her, maybe then it would give her grounds to make certain accusations. I have to confess I had wanted to say something bad which might have hurt the lady's pride but I chose not to. Nonetheless I had to seek the Lord's forgiveness as I had already sinned against Him and the lady by having evil thoughts in my mind.

Anyway, when I was walking out of the shop, I prayed for the lady. I felt better after that.

Well, it was a sad incident but thanks be to God for it anyway.

I guess I shall stop here for now.

"Do not plot harm against your neighbor, who lives trustfully near you. Do not accuse a man for no reason —when he has done you no harm." Proverbs 3:29-30

2 comments:

Lionel Low said...

Hi Andy,

I came across your blog through a curious friend who was trying to find out what happened at the MRT yesterday.

Reading your blog, I feel encouraged by your words, and definitely feel there's a lot of things that I can learn from you.

I must say you have God's gift for writing! Please continue to write the way you do, and I believe your blog will help fellow Christians like me to learn and grow too.

Continue to walk in faith brother. God bless. :)

Pilgrim's Progress said...

Hi Lionel.

Thank you for your affirmation and encouragement. I will continue to press on and share about the Lord's goodness whenever I can.

Let us all grow in the Lord and in character as we read His Word and also to support one another in our walk.

Life is not bad because God is good. :)

The Lord bless and keep you, brother.

Andy