Monday, July 30, 2007

Earn, Save And Give All You Can

God had a hand in everything I did throughout the day. I went out in the morning to do a couple of things. I went to the hospital to collect some anti-infammatory medicine for my knee - it has been very painful lately. Then I went to the money-changer. It is amazing how I got a good deal from this kind gentleman whom mum has been patronising his business for years especially during those times when she had to travel often. I was shocked this morning when I saw the exchange rate for the currency I had wanted to buy but when I went to the money-changer, he gave me a good deal. Praise the Lord for this man!

It is also amazing to see how God could use another person to prompt me not to buy a particular gift for a friend because yesterday that friend had bought the same kind of item I had in mind of getting today. What is even more amazing was when I spoke to this friend about the item, it was the exact same pattern and colour I saw and was considering.

In the late afternoon, I got a chance to try something new in a skill I acquired a couple of years ago. I thank God all went well and also for the opportunity for me to put it to practice. I was quite nervous and unsure for the past few days whether I would do well since it was my first time using a different tool and method. I prayed about it and all. Praise the Lord He led and guided me accordingly.

My right arm has been rather sore because for three days in a row I went bowling with some youths. I am getting the hang of it and hope to improve further in our future games. I also had a rather good time of fellowship with them.

Yesterday after bowling I went to a shop in Suntec City to collect an item I requested for a one-to-one exchange last week. The management admitted it was a manufacturer's defect and apologised for the inconvenience caused. They were very professional in handling the whole matter and I thank God for His intervention.

I learnt one lesson yesterday at the worship service - "Generous Giving is an Act of Christian Worship." It affirmed in me a struggle I had a couple of days ago where I was wondering whether I have been giving too much. What troubled me was not about what I am losing when giving but more so whether people are comfortable receiving what I give to them.

Of course I should not overdo it. Well, I guess when I feel there is a need to give, I should not think twice but just act accordingly. I always believe God prompts one to give but many times we would want to count the cost first as in both the value as well as whether the person whom we want to give is willing to receive it. By the time we start to rationalise this and that, our energy would have been sapped. After which we decided against acting upon it. In the end the person whom we want to give something to missed out in being blest by God through us.

I was also reminded that though there is a need to save up for rainy days, it should not become a fear instilled upon oneself that there is never enough. I guess so long as there are some amount being saved, the rest should be used for personal expenses and ministry purposes. Well, I know of a sister who works as a full-time worker in a church who once told me that she does not have much in her bank account because she knows God would always continue to provide. Whatever she earns she will keep some for herself and her family and the rest are for others. It is a tough thing to do but that is the joy of giving, I guess.

"Earn all you can, save all you can and give all you can." A saying in John Wesley's sermon on giving which makes a lot of sense and have a lot of power if put to action!

Praise the Lord for this day!

"Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Luke 12:33-34

No comments: