Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Ironing Is Good!

Last night I was ironing a huge pile of clothes and it took me a total of two hours to do so. As it was quite boring just ironing, I took the time to pray and sang the songs I chose for this Sunday's praise and worship. My family members, especially my bro (who is a non-believer), most probably have thought that I was mad. Anyway, praying and singing while ironing surely made the whole session more meaningful and fun. It felt faster too especially with the large amount I was doing.

I learnt a couple of lessons from this ironing activity - I was reminded that I am like the T-shirt or shirt or trousers or hankerchief. My life is full of creases - pet-sins, weaknesses, shortcomings, etc. With these creases of life, they tend to make me messy, unattractive and a put-off especially in the sight of others.

God is like the iron - whenever He sees the creases of my life, He will be there ready to iron me out and remove those imperfections if I allow Him to. If I refuse, then I will be like the pile of clothes in the basket, all creased up and forever a mess!

Upon learning this lesson, I prayed and confessed my sins, weaknesses and shortcomings to God. I admitted to Him that I need Him to help me iron out these mess I have created. I also shared with the Lord that I want to live a life in a manner where I am "attractive" to others and above all, pleasing in the sight of Him. Tough, as it may be, but I hope with His help, I will learn to overcome the creases of my life.

As I was ironing, I also noticed holes or slight tears along the seams of some of the clothings. I would basically stop my ironing and take out a needle and thread to mend those holes or tears. God does that to our lives too - He wants to mend the pain, the hurts, the emotional or physical scars, the disappointments, the rage, the hopelessness of our fragile lives. He has a lot of things to deal with especially when His creation is so huge but I know my God will stop doing everything and spend the time with me to heal me spiritually, physically, emotionally and mentally.

Again I took the time to pray that God would help me cope with the pains that I am still experiencing especially the physical and emotional ones that I have been carrying for a while. I shared with Him from the bottom of my heart my struggles in these areas. I hope in His time, He will release me from all these.

One more lesson I learnt about ironing - that of broken relationships from quarrels, misunderstandings, clashes of character, envy, jealousy, unforgiveness, bitterness and betrayal. Most of the time when there is a rift in relationships between two parties, the normal thing to do is to break that bond and forever become enemies. Do you know that the normal thing for a Christian to do, especially in situations like this, is always the opposite of our natural reaction? We basically need to iron out our differences, forgive one another and rebuild the relationship. Of course this will take a while but it is better than not doing anything about it. Why give up a relationship so easily when it has been so tough building it since it first started?

Well, again I shared with the Lord some of the struggles I have with a few friends whom I cherish a lot. I hope He will always prompt me as to what I should do and that I will always strive towards building each other up than tearing one another down.

Okie, so much for my sharing. I brought mum to the hospital in the morning. By the way, I woke up feeling cheery as I know after today's radiotherapy session, mum is one step closer to full recovery. Not many steps left and I am looking forward to the day when I hear from the doctor that all the cancer cells in mum's cervix have been eradicated! Next week is a crucial week as mum will have to go for a scan to ascertain whether there is improvement. I shall claim in the name of Jesus that it will be so. May the Lord's will be done in this area.

In an hour's time, I have to attend a leaders' meeting. A couple of days back I was not looking forward to it but today as I was praying in Botanic Gardens, I felt the joy of having to attend it. In my heart I know it may not be that bad afterall especially in what I am to present. The Lord prompted me to let my words be few and I shall do that later.

Well, I shall blog on that when I get home. So far, thanks be to God for all that He has taught me and for pulling me through the day thus far.

To Him be the glory!

"The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." Psalm 34:18

"He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds." Psalm 147:3

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:9

"Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift." Matthew 5:23-24

No comments: