Saturday, July 14, 2007

The Beatitudes

I just came home from a get-together for a friend. It was a surprise gathering for her and I believe all who were present hoped she enjoyed herself.

Earlier I was with some friends for a drink at Villa Bali near Queensway area. It was a nice and cosy place to sit down and chat.

I attended the Youth Ministry Mentors' (YMMs) monthly fellowship at a dear brother's home. It was a good time of sharing of our lives and prayer needs so that we could encourage and intercede for one another.

We touched on the Beatitudes found in Matthew 5:1-16. If you have read this passage before, it sounds very gloomy and discouraging because it touches on some negative aspects of life (both the physical and spiritual).

When I was pondering on the 16 verses, it dawned upon me that yes, though the passage sounded very sad but it was there for a reason and "grace" came to mind. I saw the grace of God in all that were written because He is warning and encouraging the readers that it is not a bad thing having to go through the negative aspects of life. There are precious lessons to learn from it. It is usually in times of trial and tribulation that one learns the most. I guess the Beatitudes were there to remind us of this. Another lesson I learnt from this was - if we can try to see our struggles as something good and our attitude towards overcoming them is one of trust in the Lord to pull us through and finding joy in this difficult times, it can be a testimony to many around us. This would then cause them to wonder who is this God we are worshipping. I hope we will press on in this so that we can let others see Christ in us in how we live our lives.

This is a timely lesson for me because today I suddenly feel I have not been a sensitive friend to my other friends. Sometimes I feel I repel more than I attract people. I do not really know why I feel this way but it kind of bugged me.

Well, I guess it is good to experience the above-mentioned as it allows me to evaluate. Sometimes I have to confess that I really have no idea how to be a friend to another. I struggle with this constantly. When it happens, I would usually do two things - one, I would try my best to be the friend I think I should be but many times I would fail miserably. At the end of it all, I still do put some friends off; two, I would just distant myself and stay clear of people so that my actions would not affect others.

This is not the first time I am struggling with this - maybe I have not learnt this lesson fully as yet.

As I am writing the above thoughts, it occurred to me that maybe God wants me to grapple with this due to what I am going to do tomorrow as a worship leader. As the passage will be on how one can be of great significance wherever he or she goes, perhaps I have to learn something from this first before encouraging the congregation what they can do.

Anyway, I pray the Lord will lead and guide me as I serve Him tomorrow. I always feel very burdened before I lead - I guess leading worship is not just about singing songs but also being sensitive to the Spirit's leading, obeying what He wants me to do and stirring the church to a certain direction.

I shall end here. I am looking forward to worshipping God tomorrow with the rest of my siblings-in-Christ. May the Lord teach us what it means to worship Him in Spirit and in truth.

"Now when he saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to him, and he began to teach them saying: "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted. Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled. Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy. Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God. Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God. Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. "Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you. "You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men. "You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." Matthew 5:1-16

No comments: