Sunday, July 22, 2007

Thank God For Fathers!

This morning I was at the Youth Ministry and we were discussing about fathers. I have written so many blogs that I cannot remember whether I have typed something on this topic. Anyway, I shall share my thoughts tonight.

I grew up in a family where it was dad who took care of my daily needs right from when I was a babe. Mum was quite a workaholic with her sports equipment business to the point where dad took over the role of a mother.

When I was hungry in the middle of the night, it was dad who took care of me. When I was doing my lower primary education, it was dad who walked me to school. During the weekends, it was dad who brought me out to watch movies without fail. When I was being punished by mum who was a disciplinarian in the family, it was dad who stood up for me and sometimes shielded me from the canes and slaps from mum. It is quite interesting that there is a role-reversal between my parents. When I wanted something like toys or certain gadgets, he would get them for me most of the trime. When I was sick, it was dad who sacrificed his sleep to take care of me, ensuring that my temperature was kept in check and that my medication was taken punctually. I remember clearly how sometimes I saw his red eyes when taking care of me during the period of my kidney ailment. I guess it was painful for him to see his own son down with a medical problem.

I was quite close with dad when I was younger but as I grew older and as I mixed with bad companies during my upper primary education, we grew further apart. Though I have disappointed him many times, he did not bear any grudge but still loved me as before. We do have our differences - I guess that is common between two parties.

Anyway, now that dad has retired, I am trying my best to spend time with him as oft as I can. It is an effort but it is always worth the while when we managed to go out for a drink or when we accompany mum to the hospital. I am already an adult but dad still calls occasionally when I am out, asking whether I have eaten and always caution me to take care of myself wherever I go. Sometimes a little naggy but then I am more touched than irked by his kind gesture.

I am not trying to boast writing this but my caring nature comes from my father but at the same time a weakness also manifests itself from this characteristic - that is we both can be too naggy at times. We mean well generally but sometimes we put people off when we over-care. Haha. I am learning to strike a balance.

So much for my earthly father. I am glad to also know my heavenly Father. Though sometimes dad fails in certain areas, one thing about my Father in heaven is that He never fails me because He is a perfect Father. Though I have learnt from dad quite a bit over the years, nothing can beat the abundant lessons I can learn from Jesus. Dad is afterall a human himself and he has his shortcomings - whatever I cannot learn from him, I will get that from my loving Father. He (Jesus) has a lot of godly characteristics in which I am still trying to attain. I shared these with a youth group today. The passage is taken from 1 Corinthians 13:4-8. I basically challenged the youths to replace the word "love" with that of their names and see whether they have those characteristics. If no, then I told them to ask the Lord to help them practise these traits in their lives.

Another passage is taken from Galatians 5:22-23 where it spoke about the fruit of the Spirit.

Well, if ever I get the chance to be a father, I would like to be like dad and Dad. They have taught me much and I will put to practice these that I have learnt with my children.

May the Lord be my help in the above desire. Thanks be to God for my father and Father! If not for them I would not have been who I am today. My Father is still very much dealing with my life and it will be ongoing even till I die, I guess.

I was with the youths for a game of touch-rugby. Many turned up and I was encouraged by that. A dear sister and I took turn to referee the games. It was fun as usual but every one was super-dirty after everything was over. Some of us had dinner together and we had a good time of fellowship together. I praise the Lord for the bonding and I look forward to more of this in the near future.

Time to sleep. I hope I can though. Another brand new week - well, I shall cherish it as I go through each day. There is a mix of happiness and sadness as I think about the days ahead. Well, I am sure God will help me deal with them as they come by.

Good night, every one!

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails." 1 Corinthians 13:4-8

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law." Galatians 5:22-23

No comments: