Monday, July 23, 2007

A Day Of Plentiful Changes

I just finished making a presentation - part of a curriculum planning that I am involved in for the new semester which is coming up next month. Anyway, I thought I had the day planned out but everything changed along the way.

I was only told about this meeting last night and the secretary apologised when she realised I was supposed to be involved in the discussion. As I have been on sabbatical, it slipped her mind that I will be coming back mid-September.

Anyway, I had to change an afternoon appointment so that I can fit in this meeting. Though it was an inconvenience but I thank God that I had all the details prepared last week. I had actually wanted to do the preparations this week but decided that I might as well get them over and done with last Thursday.

After the presentation, I was supposed to meet a colleague for tea but it was cancelled because she has another meeting at 4pm later.

Another appointment to have dinner with a friend was also cancelled just about an hour ago because the restaurant I had wanted to bring her to is closed for renovation. Anyway, she has a couple of things to do as well - I thought it is important for her to finish them.

Well, suddenly I have nothing to do. I guess I shall just pop by Kinokuniya and Borders to check out some books and perhaps walk around town area.

What I have related above has taught me something - that man can plan all he wants but at the end of the day, it may not always fall in place. I guess it is the same as man trying to plan everything he can for his life here on earth but who knows tomorrow what will happen to his plans or to him, for that matter.

During the meeting earlier, a few uncalled comments were made about my presentation by a certain individual when what he had mentioned could have been read and understood in an email I sent out last week after I was done with my planning. He kept denying that he did not receive the attachment when others have already read my articles. My boss also showed him that his email address was on the list. I was on the verge of shooting him down but I prayed within me and asked the Lord to help me help this colleague of mine in understanding my concept. Well, when the meeting was over, the both of us stayed in the conference room and I passed him a set of my write-up. I told him I would answer any queries as he read on. Well, none was asked and we departed after 15 minutes.

What discouraged me was the way he made it sound as if I did not do my work when I had actually done it way before I knew this meeting was scheduled for today. I learnt something from this incident - do not put people down unneccesarily even when you think you have the right to do so. It could have been resolved if he had enquired right at the start of my presentation whether the articles have been circulated in advance and perhaps request for a set if he did not have them.

Anyway, so much for that. This morning when I was still in bed, I heard like someone had fallen in the kitchen area. I quickly got up and true enough, mum was seated on the toilet floor and the aluminium door was detached from the hinges (I thank God that the door did not fall on her) - I guess it happened when mum was trying to grab on to something while she was slipping. She was trying to wash the pooh-tray for my doggy. When I saw all that had happened, I was angry within me as mum should have known better to leave all these to the rest of us to handle. But as I was about to make certain remarks, I felt a nudge to just keep quiet. What's the point when mum had already fallen and that little accident could have already affected her physically and mentally. Why make matters even worse by adding more comments? I am glad she is okay.

Well, a day of surprises for me. I guess I shall leave my office now. Thanks be to God for making this day an 'interesting' one.

To man belong the plans of the heart, but from the LORD comes the reply of the tongue. Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed. In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps." Proverbs 16:1, 3 & 9

"A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger." Proverbs 15:1

"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near." Philippians 4:4-5

No comments: