Friday, July 27, 2007

Gossips Hurts And Destroys

I am now in Suntec City Coffee Bean. I decided to come here to check my emails and also to do my reading. I met another of my accountability group at Raffles City. When we ended at around 9:15am, it was still early for all retail outlets to be opened. Since I need to go to one of the shops in this shopping centre, I thought I might as well spend the time doing something meaningful like the first sentence I mentioned.

I enjoyed the time of fellowship with my brothers-in-Christ as we shared about the joy and struggles of life, offering one another lessons that we have learnt in which can be applied in the current situations we are in. I also find these times refreshing and also assuring, knowing that I am not going through my walk alone but having my siblings-in-Christ around to support me. It makes my pilgrim's journey easier to travel especially when the going gets tough.

I was reminded of something regarding helping one another especially in our weaknesses and struggles in life. One sad thing we always do (Christians are equally guilty of this) is that we always talk about the character-flaws of a person behind his or her back but never go beyond the desire to help them - sometimes having to confront, if there need be. We would also go to a point where we speak as if the person is beyond hope of turning for the better. I was just thinking how different are we to these people whom we are talking bad about? To me, we are basically the same. The fact that we gossip already speak a lot about our own flaws. Who are we then to speak of others'?

Being in an accountability group showed me that we can and should help one another in our struggles - to put to action what we are talking about so that we can grow together and overcome the shortcomings of our lives. We can talk all we want about the faults of another and it will always be the same unless something is done about it. If there is no desire to help the person whom we have something against, then just keep quiet and save ourselves from sinning against God. I hope the next time when we want to talk about someone's flaws without the intention to help the person, think it in such a way that we are no better than him or her should we fall into the trap of gossipping.

Well, I am learning to overcome the above-mentioned myself. This is the current thought I have, hence I decide to include it in this blog.

Time for me to stop. The shops are about to open.

Have a blessed day, everyone!

"A gossip betrays a confidence; so avoid a man who talks too much." Proverbs 20:19

"Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done. They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; they are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless. Although they know God's righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them." Romans 1:28-32

No comments: