Sunday, July 01, 2007

Do Not Be Possessed By Possessions!

I am very tired now but did not have the chance yet to really rest except for a power-nap I took while waiting for a meeting to commence this afternoon. I am still sleepy - I hope after finishing this blog, I will be able to go to bed early tonight.

I was unable to blog last night as I was at a dear brother's 21st Birthday Party. By the time I came home it was already past midnight. I had to dress up as a school-boy as it was a theme-party. I felt so awkward to be in uniform again. Looking at the photos I took while editing them for the birthday-boy, I was quite horrified when I saw myself. :)

Anyway, it was fun because it reminded myself of how messy I was when I was in primary school; how I carried my bag with the sling over my forehead; how I need to always wash my school-shoes everyday because they would be dirty since I had to go into the drain to catch fish; how my shirt pocket would tear each time I got myself in fights.

It was also nice to see the rest of my siblings-in-Christ dressed up - some in school uniforms; some in punk-rockers' outfits; some in cartoon characters' costumes. Interesting to see them being so sporting!

This morning I am thankful to God for the message preached during the service. Lately the Lord has been teaching me on stewardship and today's sermon helped me overcome some of the doubts I have about giving (not just in monetary form but basically anything I might want to offer to another person). It also confirmed that I should just give when God moves me to and not be bothered by other factors.

I have been warned against three dangers pertaining to this word "Covetousness." It means "reprehensible acquisitiveness"; "insatiable desire for wealth and possessions"; "possessed by possessions"; "greed." He also offerd a solution to each of them.

The first danger is against the Spirit of Poverty where one has the feeling of always not having enough. The solution is to have Contentment where one should be happy for what he has and live according to his means.

The second danger is against the Spirit of Insecurity where one has the need to prove that he is somebody by the things he possessed. The solution is to have Confidence especially finding our worth in Christ and not in our possessions. He also warned against arrogance where sometimes we tend to show off our wealth.

The third danger is against the Sprit of Insignificance where one has the need to prove that he is better than others by having more. The solution is to practice Charity. In doing so it reminds us simply that what we have is from God and not by our mere effort. We are also not to hoard our wealth but to use them to bless others.

I have no qualms confessing that I sometimes fall into these traps but lately God is teaching me to give more so that others can be blest. I am also learning to be happy with what I have in terms of my possessions and not covet for more when what I now own is enough to see me through the basic needs of my daily living.

Well, it is not going to be easy practising being contented, confident and charitable but with God's help, I hope to learn and put to action the above lesson.

Today the church commemorates Youth Sunday. The Youth Ministry took over the services. I was involved with the 11:15am service and I thank God for every of these young lives He used. They led in the praise and worship - one served as a worship leader; four played in the band; at least eight formed the choir; a couple of them did ushering; and one took care of the projection.

Every one of the above-mentioned did well and I believe the Lord is pleased with their services. Well, I pray He will continue to use them mightily.

I slept around 4am editing the photos, burning them onto a CD-R and then I had to do the designs on it. I had to wake up early so that I could join the Youth Worship Team for a time of prayer and rehearsal. As I had some time, I detoured to NTUC Supermarket to buy some fruits for my dear friend who is having a sore throat. Thank God I managed to find some starfruits.

My knee is still bad but I am thankful to God for allowing me to endure the pain.

Anyway, time to stop blogging and start sleeping.

To God be the glory for today!

"Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work." 2 Corinthians 9:6-8

"Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life." 1 Timothy 6:17-19

"You may say to yourself, "My power and the strength of my hands have produced this wealth for me." But remember the LORD your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms his covenant, which he swore to your forefathers, as it is today." Deuteronomy 8:17-18

"Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?"
Hebrews 13:5-6

"But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." 1 Timothy 6:6-10

No comments: