Tuesday, July 24, 2007

One At A Time

I had an interesting encounter with a 16-year old boy when I was walking along the pedestrian tunnel from Shaw Brothers Building at Scotts Road to the Orchard MRT station yesterday. This boy was peddling illegal DVD-movies to the passers-by. Initially I walked past him without batting an eye-lid but as I walked on, I felt the need to reach out to him.

I turned back and approached him. As I was stern with him, I told him to pack his things up and walk with me to the MacDonalds Cafe for a drink. He obediently listened to what I instructed him.

I asked him why he needed to do such illegal stuff and he gave the reason that he needed more pocket money. Then I asked him why he did not want to earn them the legal way and he said no one would want to employ him. I told him if I could find him a job, would he be interested? He said it is impossible.

Since we were in MacDonalds itself, I called for the manager and enquired about the employment opportunities for students and whether there were any vacancies. I was told there were and immediately I told the boy to submit his name and contact number. I explained to the manager what I was trying to do and she told me she would take it from there. I also gave her my contact number so that should this boy resigned from his work that I be informed about it. She agreed.

After all the paper-work was done, I asked the boy to break all the DVDs that he was holding on. He did that and threw them into the dustbin. Well, before we departed I told him to do two things - make sure he does not neglect his studies while trying to earn more money and to not get himself into illegal matters anymore. I could only advise him these but the rest is up to him whether he wants to listen or not. I prayed for him as I walked to Kinokuniya Bookstore.

I felt I needed to do the above-mentioned because of his tender age when he should be concentrating on enjoying his youth and not let illegal activities ruin his future. I do not know how others would do if they were in my shoes but at that point, I saw the need to help him see that his actions were wrong and that I should go a step further to also show him that nothing is impossible so long as one tries.

Well, I know I cannot help every one in this world but if I can just make a difference in one or two lives a day, that is enough, I guess.

Anyway, while I was at the bookstore, two dear brothers called me to join them for dinner and I decided to fellowship with them over meal. We also went to Minds Cafe in Selegie Road to play some board games with a couple of other siblings-in-Christ. Praise the Lord for the time we had.

I guess I shall stop here. A very interesting day I had the whole of yesterday. Thanks be to Him once again.

"Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Does he not leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, 'Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.' I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent." Luke 15:4-7

No comments: