Monday, July 02, 2007

Am I Committed?

Today has been a rather stressful day. I needed to be in church to look into a matter pertaining to the Missions Ministry. As I did my research on it, I found out more and more things which require my attention and action. I am quite clueless as to how to deal with them - still seeking the Lord to lead and guide me in this area. I also need the discernment to handle it in the most sensitive way.

I did not plan to go to church but because of the above-mentioned, I had to make a trip down. Well, though it was quite a headache checking past datas and all, I also had fun fellowshipping with the church staff - once in a while joking with one another. That released a bit of the pressure in me. Praise the Lord.

I initially planned to run some errands for myself and a dear friend in the afternoon. I managed to do it after church though. By the time I reached home I was totally exhausted.

My chest feels rather congested today, even now. I hope it will be fine after a night's rest.

Anyway, I have been thinking about this word, "Commitment," the whole of today. I have been asking myself how have I been committed to God, family, friends, ministries and work. I realised sometimes I am doing too many things to the point where I am like butter being spread out too thinly on a slice of bread. At the end of the day, I am unable to give my best in what I do.

I think it is vital for me to sit down and start re-evaluating where God wants me to go and what He wants me to do especially in church. Two main areas I have a burden for - one is in missions and the other in the youths. Though I serve in the Worship and Music Ministry too, my passion in that area is not as deep as the two I just mentioned. I still love to worship-lead and play the drums though.

Well, I guess I cannot be a jack of all trades, master of none. To me, commitment is like a marriage where I give 100% to only one lady I love. If I start having more than one, then I cannot truly love that woman I initially committed myself to. To make that final decision to whom I want to marry, it has to go through a process of reflecting and seeking. It is during this period that I confirm my love for her and then after move on to spend our lives together.

I hope the analogy above makes sense. Being sure of where God wants me to go and do also prevents me from falling into the danger of burn-out! A person who is called by God is continually being renewed spiritually, physically, emotionally and mentally as he serves Him but a person who is driven can only go that far and when his resources are depleted, he falls away and stop serving.

I am thankful God gave me this timely warning - I shall spend the next few days pondering on this.

Mum is feeling better and her rashes are easing up. I hope the Lord will continue to give her the strength she needs and the hope to keep her going.

Okie, I shall end here for now. Thanks be to God for sustaining me through this hot and humid day.

"His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires. For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But if anyone does not have them, he is nearsighted and blind, and has forgotten that he has been cleansed from his past sins. Therefore, my brothers, be all the more eager to make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never fall, and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ." 1 Peter 1:3-11

"Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men, because you know that the Lord will reward everyone for whatever good he does, whether he is slave or free." Ephesians 6:7-8

No comments: