Thursday, July 05, 2007

Wake The Giant In Us

I was taking the North-East Line from my place to town when I saw Pastor Michael in the train. I wrote about him before - as in how he offered me lozenges when I was coughing in the train a couple of months ago. He also goes around the island to give tuition to needy students and he carries a huge dictionary everywhere he goes. He also reaches out to poor families.

Well, when I saw him just now, he was still carrying the dictionary; still very well-dressed - in his long-sleeved shirt and tie; he still has his box of lozenges - when I was clearing my throat, again he whipped out the box and offered me one lozenges. I decided to approach this interesting elderly man as I was curious to know a few things about him. I hardly meet Pastor Michael so when I chanced upon him, I could not let this opportunity slip by.

I asked this kind gentleman why is it that he does not want to just rest since he has retired from the pastoral ministry? He told me that there is no such thing as retirement. He said so long as he still has the means to travel and do things independently, he will continue to serve the Lord and His people. He also told me one day should he become immobile, as long as he can still speak, he will want to continue doing God's work.

Then I followed up with another question, why is it that he is giving tuition and helping needy families instead of other activities that he could have done? He mentioned this point which kind of hit me and it was thought-provoking. He said as a Christian, our ministry is not about reaching out to fellow Christians but to the pre-Christians out there who need God more than those who have already known Him. He then justified that he is not saying it is not important to reach out to the congregation of the church but it is more crucial to bring the pre-Christians to Christ because time is not in our hands. He then asked me - "What will happen to these people if Christ were to come tomorrow?" Then he went on to share that so long as he can reach out, he will do so.

I alighted at Dhoby Ghaut MRT station while Pastor Michael went on with his train-ride to Outram MRT station. As I was walking to the North-South Line, I was just thinking to myself - "If every Christian can be like Pastor Michael, many more would have come to know the Lord; many more who are broken-hearted would have experienced the love of God; many more would have found hope."

I think it is time for Christians to be more outward-looking than inward-looking. It is time to live out what Christ has commanded us to do. It is time, especially in this world full of war, hatred, strife, struggles, poverty, hurt, etc, that light be brought forth in the many lives still unreached, still in darkness.

Pastor Michael chose to make a difference. How about me? How about you? Let us wake up the giant that God has created us to be and start making an impact.

"My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires. Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you. Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it—he will be blessed in what he does. If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless. Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." James 1:19-27

No comments: