Friday, August 24, 2007

Is Our Alignment Off?

I brought mum to the hospital to collect her medical report. It is now confirmed that she is cleared of all cancer. Thanks be to God for that. The condition of her diabetes is still quite bad and the doctor advised her to control her diet and also to monitor the condition regularly. Mum and dad decided to go out for lunch while I am back in Millennia Walk Coffee Bean to do my usual stuff. I guess I do not have much time left to enjoy such leisure activities before going back to work proper next month.

I got an email this morning from a brother-in-Christ. He is apparently from Scotland. He asked how and why is it wrong to gain the acceptance of man? I did not say that it is wrong for one to do so. I basically used the word "saddens" and I also thought I share my thoughts so that we can evaluate on this area of our lives.

I think we need to always be cautious when we try to win the favours of others. Usually in doing so, we tend to make some compromises. Some points for us to consider:-

1) What are our motives? Are we manipulating others?

2) Do we reach a point where we belittle ourselves, suck up to others and lose our dignity and pride in the process?

3) Are we losing the joy in our lives and in the things we do? Are we feeling tired? Do we get frustrated and angry easily?

4) Are we beginning to doubt ourselves, losing confidence in what we do?

If our answers are mostly, "yes," and negative then the alarm bell should ring loudly in us. God is probably prompting us not to sell our souls just so that we can have a place in this world.

The other sure test is this - where is God in all these pursuits to win the favour of man and find our worth in the standards set by the world? Have we ever consulted Him?

If He is totally out of the equation, then our alignment is off. How can the God of our lives not be included in all the above-mentioned when He should have the biggest say in our thoughts and actions?

Well, I hope I have answered the queries of my Scottish brother-in-Christ.

I guess that is all I have to share on this. I need to head to church later for the Worship Team rehearsal. A brother-in-Christ was supposed to play the drums for this Sunday but because of the demise of his grandpa, he is unable to do so now. I decided to replace him when a request was made by the Worship Leader to cover the vacant slot.

I am feeling super cold here. Cannot wait to get out of here soon.

"A good man obtains favor from the LORD, but the LORD condemns a crafty man." Proverbs 12:2

"Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to win their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord. Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. Anyone who does wrong will be repaid for his wrong, and there is no favoritism." Colossians 3:22-25

No comments: