Monday, August 13, 2007

Reacting Towards Circumstances

A few interesting things happened today which I want to thank the Lord for. Well, if you have guessed correctly - yup, I am writing this blog in Ngee Ann City Coffee Bean. I think by now those of you who have been reading my blogspot know that I frequent this cafe a lot, at least for now when I am still on my sabbatical.

I have shared before that many of the staff here know me by name and each time they see me, they would give me the broadest smile ever. What I did not share about is this particular staff whom I see very often but he never gave me a smile, not even once. But each time when I see him, I would just smile at him and say, "hello!"

Anyway, just now I met this interesting gentleman again. I smiled and to my surprise, he returned a smile! Praise the Lord! It sounds trivial in what I have just written. To me, it means a lot because that indicated the ice is now broken and probably I may move one step forward and begin to talk to him. Well, I shall do this another time. Shan't scare him for now.

When I arrived at the cafe, I realised all the tables except one near the power sockets have been occupied. But someone at the other table has already plugged into the power source. When one of the cafe supervisors saw that I was trying to locate for a power socket, she kindly passed me an extension plug so that I can tap on the power source too. I was very touched by her thoughtfulness. Praise the Lord for providing through this kind lady.

Another encounter I want to share. I was on my way to town from home. While walking along the underground tunnel to the train station, I saw two secondary school-boys throwing rugby ball to and fro in the station. I told them not to do so as they might break a few things. I walked on after that. The train arrived and coincidentally we boarded the same carriage. I smiled at them and started talking to them. I asked them whether they were ruggers and they said they play for the school. When I heard that, I used this topic to continue our conversation. I even invited them to join the youths on Sunday for the touch-rugby game. They said they will try to come. I shall hope for it.

I realised encounters like what I have shared above always make my day! It is just a matter of how I deal with them as they come along. I could have ignored the guy who does not smile at me and bear a grudge against him for being arrogant. The question is - what is the point? By reacting that way, I have built up walls and even spoilt my mood. As for the two boys whom I asked not to play in the train station, I could have made some assumptions about them as being childish and inconsiderate. I could have continued to show them my fierce look when we entered the same carriage. The question again - what is the point? By feeling this way, I have closed the door to knowing them better.

I guess at the end of the day, it is up to us whether we want to make the best of opportunities to enjoy each day of our pilgrim's journey. Many times we say people or situations spoil our day but think again - most of the time, it is us who spoil it by our reactions.

I want to thank God for a few other things - for granting journey mercies to my friend and her mother during their holidays; for protecting another dear friend against serious injury in an accident; for giving my God-sister a favourable result for her 'O' Level Chinese examination.

Time for me to stop here. Thanks be to God for a good start to a busy week. :)

"... give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:18

No comments: